Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Which, if any, development squad prospects will feature in the first team?

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Did a blog last month which revealed English players aged 21 or under, which includes Lewis Dunk, featured in just ONE PER CENT of the Albion's possible playing time in the league.

Solomon March has looked decent in friendlies and impressed for the development squad last season. Forster-Caskey surely must be used more this season - particularly with the club's current midfield shortage.

So, for anyone interested, I did a piece today assessing the chances of the club's top young talent in making the first team squad this season.

Can be found HERE

Expect to see March on the bench, training with the first team and, hopefully Forster-Caskey used far more often.

Actually think Poyet's departure could be a good thing for some of our young talent. He seemed to prefer having players like Harley etc on the bench.

I also think blooding more young players in the first team squad could be a good way of freeing up vital wages to strengthen squad elsewhere.

With seven subs allowed, I cannot really see any reason for a couple of younger players to be involved each week.

Any young development squad players who have caught the eye of NSC? Who do you all want/expect to see involved?

Seagulltonian

C'mon the Albion!
Oct 2, 2003
Still Somewhere in Sussex!
JFC & March to make the bench most matches if fit, is my personal hope. And to get on to myabe influence games, rather than get the last five minutes that Gus used these players for in matches.

Hopefully Oscar Garcia has a slight eye for spotting a good young player when he sees one. I think this season will see more of the developement squad actually make their way onto the bench, and hopefully the young talent will gell with the experienced players, and give us yet another exciting season :albion2:

El Sid

May 10, 2012
West Sussex
Saw Dickenson in DS games last season. He's going to be a very strong physical player with some pace.

Would like to see him getting on the bench along with JFC, March and Barker.

Ince looks a bit of a beast and could become a big favourite, time will tell.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Now Gus has gone Id like to think development squad recruitment and development will improve. I though spotting raw talent and/or nurturing it was a weak spot of his.

El Sid

May 10, 2012
West Sussex
Now Gus has gone Id like to think development squad recruitment and development will improve. I though spotting raw talent and/or nurturing it was a weak spot of his.

Somewhat agree with this. There did seem to be a gulf between the 1st team and the DS. There is some obvious quality there but Poyet seemed reluctant to get younger players even on the bench, especially given that there were 7 subs allowed last season. I think that Agdestein looked to have potential in first year at the Amex but barely got a sniff last season and I believe his development has suffered consequently.

Maybe we need to look at playing more games against Premier reserve teams where the standard will be much higher, hopefully.

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
There should be real financial benefits to having one or two development squad players on the bench or as back up in the first team rather than players previously signed on first team wages like Harley etc.

yxee

Oct 24, 2011
Manchester
Hopefully we have a longer league cup run this year, going out early did no favours for the DS squad last year.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
I want to see JFC starting, let alone on the bench, he will get better and better with games.

Oscar

Nov 10, 2003
I would hope JFC because he's been in and around the first team before. Maybe Adgestein but I fear he's not anywhere near the standard we need up front.

I haven't seen enough of the others to be honest. And seeing them against lowly opposition pre-season alway gives a false impression of potential.

Oct 25, 2003
March and JFC are the stand out players for me and I expect at least one of them to be consistently on the bench next season.

Ince has all the raw ingredients to be a top center back so i'd like to see more of him, but maybe a loan spell would do him good....he's got a lot of competition for CB so can't see him getting much action.

I was really impressed by Richards against Whitehawk...very similar to Bridcutt (not as good obviously)...very happy to keep him around.

Another who caught my eye was Dickenson. He's quick and powerful, with some skill as well...can see him jumping ahead of Barker and Agdestein this season.

Hopefully he had an off day, but I must admit I wasn't overly impressed by Maksimenko.

One thing that interested me was OG's decision to try Dunk as a holding midfielder. I must say that his natural talents seem to be more effective there, whilst protecting against his occasional lapses in concentration. Worth exploring more.

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Worth pointing out that the 1.1% playing time the Albion gave to English players under 21 last season was actually below the overall Premier League rate of 2.2%.

Europe's other top divisions were: Italy 2.8 per cent, Spain 3.4 per cent, Germany 6.2 per cent and France 7.3 per cent.

El Sid

May 10, 2012
West Sussex
I hope that we bring in some more quality players so that none of the DS feature in the first team only make up the bench to possibly gain experience.

Oh dear, very short-sighted view.
I hope Oscar is able to nurture and develope DS players more effectively, giving them the confidence to match their undoubted talents. The whole point of the DS and the training academy is to be able to produce quality players worthy of first team places. From my perspective it will be fantastic to see these young players in the first team regularly. Please don't write them off.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Any point in Bloom spending £30million on a new academy style training ground then in your opinion?

We will get the benefit of that investment in time possibly 3 years but the current DS are generally poor by what I have seen of them. JFC March and Dickenson and obviously Dunk are the only one I would consider. As I have said many times I think Dunk should go out on a 3 month loan to a decent Div 1 side to gain experience and possibly Dickenson and leave JFC and March for the bench as and when needed.

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
We will get the benefit of that investment in time possibly 3 years but the current DS are generally poor by what I have seen of them. JFC March and Dickenson and obviously Dunk are the only one I would consider. As I have said many times I think Dunk should go out on a 3 month loan to a decent Div 1 side to gain experience and possibly Dickenson and leave JFC and March for the bench as and when needed.

I'd say a minimum of three years from when it opens before we start seeing any benefit.

brightonrock

Dodgy Hamstrings
Jan 1, 2008

So of the 4 players you've mentioned, the one with 50 appearances for a top 6 Championship side, who got called up to the national under 21 side, is the player who should go out on loan to a third tier side. Meanwhile March who, granted, is highly admired by the staff but little to nothing is known about by the supporters, he's the one who'd make your 18? Your grudge against Dunk is very, very strange.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here