Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Full-back now Oscar's priority [The Argus]

Newshound

Brighton 8049
Jun 5, 2011
[h=3]Full-back now Oscar's priority[/h]11:30am Friday 12th July 2013 in Albion By Andy Naylor
2536586.jpg
Oscar Garcia needs a left-back. Picture by Simon Dack
Albion*head coach Oscar Garcia has a new left-back at the top of the club's transfer agenda again following the departure of trialist Nicky Shorey.
The former England defender has parted company with the Seagulls and is training with Championship rivals Millwall.
The Seagulls are desperate for a left-back after Wayne Bridge’s close season move to Reading and the release of his understudy Marcos Painter.
Shorey teamed up with the Albion squad when they reported back for pre-season training last month, prior to confirmation of Garcia’s appointment as head coach in place of sacked manager Gus Poyet.
The 32-year-old, released from a second spell with Reading, featured in last Saturday’s opening pre-season friendly under Garcia at Whitehawk but will not now be part of next week’s trip to Spain for matches against La Liga sides Getafe and Sporting Gijon.
Shorey said: “I played in the game and then the decision was made. I didn’t really know what to expect. It’s a strange one.
“David Burke (head of football) spoke to me about coming the summer before, when Gus was still manager.
“He rang up again, then the new manager came in. I didn’t know anything about him (Oscar Garcia) and maybe he didn’t know much about me.
“It was one of those strange situations you just get on with and see what else comes up.”
Shorey could now end up playing against Albion for Millwall at The Amex on August 31.
Meanwhile, Oscar Garcia’s former club Maccabi Tel Aviv could have a surplus of left-backs with the arrival of Omri ben Harush.
The Israeli champions signed 31-year-old Mane from Getafe last week. They also have Yoav Ziv, 32, who was infamously sent-off for kicking a loose boot at a linesman in a Europa Cup tie against Stoke two seasons ago.Aa

p-89EKCgBk8MZdE.gif

Original article

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here