Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Shorey & Lopez

Neecha

Jul 10, 2012
London
We have turned both of these players down for contracts. This is def a good sign that we will have better quality players coming our way very soon. I have every confidence we will have a stronger squad than last season. Heres to positive thinking hey!

casbom

Jul 24, 2007
Is something happening today then? As you posted something similar on the day Upson signed!

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
I agree with you for what it's worth, but it could also be a sign of the total opposite.. so I wouldn't say it's conclusive.

Neecha

Jul 10, 2012
London
Is something happening today then? As you posted something similar on the day Upson signed!

Nothing like that I just think that its obvious that if they are not good enough for the squad then they will have better players coming in. Its a good sign for the season ahead

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
Well worth remembering a deal for Shorey isnt dead !!

But if we offered a contract and then withdrew it - shirley it must mean we have a better option now on the table ?

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
I wondered this. I thought there could be another explanation; Oscar may well like the look of some of the Development Squad players. As he was in charge of the Barcelona youth team for a couple of seasons, I assume he will be more likely that Poyet to encourage Development Squad players to make the step up.

Either way, rejecting Shorey and seemingly withdrawing the contract offer to Spanish Dave does seem to suggest that Oscar is confident.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
We have turned both of these players down for contracts. This is def a good sign that we will have better quality players coming our way very soon. I have every confidence we will have a stronger squad than last season. Heres to positive thinking hey!

I am adopting a very positive approach and tend to agree with you, just cant wait for the new players to be revealed.

DIFFBROOK

Really Up the Junction
Feb 3, 2005
Yorkshire
Maybe Spanish players are lined up and will join the Squad in Madrid. Would seem daft to bring them over to England, only for them to return to Spain.

Neecha

Jul 10, 2012
London
I am adopting a very positive approach and tend to agree with you, just cant wait for the new players to be revealed.

Oscar and Pep share the same agent being Pep Guardiolas brother so they must have contacts far beyond Mr Poyets.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

Or that we're tightening our belt!?

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I tend to assume not offering Shorey a deal is more a sign Shorey isn't what we want, and we'll keep looking, rather than a sign we have someone lined up.

Withdrawing the Lopez deal is either a gamble to force him to sign what's on offer, or simply the club thinking he is not worth the hassle/wait/negotiation games and they'll look elsewhere, again, rather than having someone lined up.

Last edited:

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
There's an article on the Argus website "David says farewell" - some of the comments on there are all doom and gloom and latching on to the idea that david "believed" Oscar Garcia wanted him, presuming he has been overruled by others. They don't seem to realise that might just be spin from David, or that OG might have changed his mind. It's good to see a more positive view, with which I agree. If Oscar wanted David, he would still be here.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
I tend to assume not offering Shorey a deal is more a sign Shorey isn't what we want, and we'll keep looking.

Withdrawing the Lopez deal is either a gamble to force him to sign what's on offer, or simply the club thinking he is not worth the hassle/wait/negotiation games and they'll look elsewhere.

According to the Argus article, david said terms and length of contract were not an issue, which seems to me to be an indication that mr Garcia did not want him.

Neecha

Jul 10, 2012
London
I tend to assume not offering Shorey a deal is more a sign Shorey isn't what we want, and we'll keep looking.

Withdrawing the Lopez deal is either a gamble to force him to sign what's on offer, or simply the club thinking he is not worth the hassle/wait/negotiation games and they'll look elsewhere.

Shorey isn't good enough imo I reckon theres better full backs out there who can also attack with pace plus Lopez has been sitting on an offer for weeks so I reckon it was take it or leave it

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
The rejecting of Shorey fills me with a lot of confidence.

We need 2 LB's to join. He is not a bad player. He was on trial. The fact we have then judged that we won't offer him a deal means we must consider we can do better. No one would have blamed the club for getting him in, especially with his reputation, so I can only see this as positive.

Perhaps I'm deluded.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
According to the Argus article, david said terms and length of contract were not an issue, which seems to me to be an indication that mr Garcia did not want him.

Like was mentioned in one of the other Lopez threads, if the terms and length of the contract were fine, why didn't he sign? There is some issue that they hadn't settled on, either he would have signed on that deal but wanted to wait to see if they upped it, or they were still negotiating some other aspect, either way, I think my interpretation works.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
I tend to assume not offering Shorey a deal is more a sign Shorey isn't what we want, and we'll keep looking, rather than a sign we have someone lined up.

Withdrawing the Lopez deal is either a gamble to force him to sign what's on offer, or simply the club thinking he is not worth the hassle/wait/negotiation games and they'll look elsewhere, again, rather than having someone lined up.

Dave signed on transfer deadline day last year, so may be used to playing brinkmanship.

TonyTownersShorts

Jan 26, 2010
1st team players lost since last season and still to be replaced;

Bridge
Lopez
Vicente
Hammond
Dicker
Painter

Out of those 6 would suggest the top three/four still need to replaced before the start of the season!

northernseagull

Mar 12, 2013
Shorey isn't good enough imo I reckon theres better full backs out there who can also attack with pace plus Lopez has been sitting on an offer for weeks so I reckon it was take it or leave it

Completely agreed... hope your thread results in another signing! And perhaps another bollocking from that grumpy poster lol

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here