Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Copyright and Protection

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Does anyone know whether say, a book, is wholly protected or at least the plot and title?

Would I be able to morph a title and plot into something very similar and produce a parody?

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
Shaving Ryan's Privates stylee? Would have thought plagiarism would be more applicable.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
Does anyone know whether say, a book, is wholly protected or at least the plot and title?

Would I be able to morph a title and plot into something very similar and produce a parody?

The title of a book is not copyrighted - many, many books have the same title. Recent parodies include "50 Sheds of Grey", so yes, you should be alright I would think, but I am not a lawyer!

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Plagiarism would, perhaps, be more apt. Good start!

More a parody of a popular book based upon a Victorian infanticide, but replaced by an animal instead of the child and a near identical title with just an adjective and the name of the police officer changed.

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012
Plagiarism would, perhaps, be more apt. Good start!

More a parody of a popular book based upon a Victorian infanticide, but replaced by an animal instead of the child and a near identical title with just an adjective and the name of the police officer changed.

Call it a homage to the original text, 'tis sexy plagiarism then.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
The title of a book is not copyrighted - many, many books have the same title. Recent parodies include "50 Sheds of Grey", so yes, you should be alright I would think, but I am not a lawyer!

Ah yes. Good examples. Perhaps specific books would have different protections or one can't protect everything and anything.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
Ah yes. Good examples. Perhaps specific books would have different protections or one can't protect everything and anything.

I would guess that you can copyright a character, but definitely not a title. The other thing I have noticed is that where something is a parody, it says so - so the full title of the example I gave is "Fifty Sheds of Grey: A Parody". So I would think that as long as you put "A Parody", you would cover all eventualities.
[h=3][/h]

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here