Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

'Dress Down Fridays' - Why is wearing shorts frowned upon?

ElectricNaz

Jan 23, 2013
Hampshire
Why is it many companies allow those female and cross-dressing types to wear skirts, but yet no-one is allowed to wear shorts?

BAFFLED

It's sexism of the highest order. Not even the good sexism. It's the bad sexism against men who like to wear shorts when it's a million degrees outside

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
I bet if you challenged it in court you'd eventually win. You go ahead though, I can't be arsed.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I'm wearing shorts :wink:

Kumquat

Mar 2, 2009
Because it puts the women off working? I remember going to work for the first time wearing shorts and this girl said to me "Goodness Kumquat, I never knew what nice legs you had". She spent the rest of the day taking sneaky glances at me and looking very distracted and flushed. It may be sexist but I quite understand how difficult it must be for the ladies.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Personally I think that check open collar shirt and high waisted cream chinos with a brown leather belt look is more offensive.

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012
I'd be happy with just having a dress down Friday.

Wearing shorts would merely be the icing; I want the cake!

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
I work in an office and I have been wearing shorts all week, as have a number of other people.

Rule is that they have to be tailored and cannot be ripped etc.. Jean shorts are also allowed.

T-Shirts are OK as long as they do not contain any images that others would find offensive.

We don't have one at my place, in fact the only time we are allowed to deviate from the dress code is high summer where we are permitted to wear short sleeve shirts.

My boss refers to Dress down Friday's as Pikey Day.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
I can wear shorts in the office any day of the week and flip flops (when it's sunny)

We were banned from wearing flip flops in the office this summer- shorts and t shirts are ok though.(Boss doesn't like the noise they make.
He could just close his door though!)

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
The last job I had I once worked most of the day in boxers and a t shirt whilst cocooned in a sleeping bag.

I think that was a Thursday.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
I really don't see why men shouldn't be allowed to wear shorts. It is quite possible to look smart with shorts and some deck shoes or what-have-you.

Thankfully my school show common sense and allow teachers to wear shorts.

It's an archaic view.

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
We are not allowed shorts nor flip flops/sandals (not that I would wear sandals :wink:) but the ladies are allowed, what happened to equal opportunities? I think I will ask the boss if i can wear shorts next week as it is supposed to be hot.

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
I do feel sorry for my son though who has to go to school in blazer, trousers, shirt & tie etc... when I am going to work in shorts & t-shirt.

I do think the school should relax some of the rules when it is consistently hot.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here