Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

MPs shouldn't receive a wage...

KingstonSeagull

May 1, 2013
Shoreditch
MPs should not paid wages but loans, like students, because they get highly paid jobs after they graduate from Westminster as a result of attending Parliament. They should therefore pay back the loan they got while in office.:moo:

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
ok mate

The Birdman

Nov 30, 2008
Haywards Heath
I would pay them more and have less off them and they should not have other jobs while serving the public. The wage should cover all expenses so no opportunity to fiddle . We need to trust our politicians otherwise we might as well give up and have a dictatorship style of government and have no elections.:nono:

teaboy

Jul 5, 2003
My house
I would pay them more and have less off them and they should not have other jobs while serving the public. The wage should cover all expenses so no opportunity to fiddle . We need to trust our politicians otherwise we might as well give up and have a dictatorship style of government and have no elections.:nono:

Democracy doesn't necessarily bring trustworthy, good government. Dictatorships are not necessarily bad governments.

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010
Democracy doesn't necessarily bring trustworthy, good government. Dictatorships are not necessarily bad governments.

True but in a democracy you do get the opportunity to get rid of those that aren't.

I don't think there have been many benign dictators.

gazingdown

Feb 26, 2011
They don't ALL get high paid jobs after leaving politics. Some also spend a long time in politics, after which they may not be able to re-continue their previous career.

It should be an honourable thing to do (of course that's not to say all the individuals are as such!) and be rewarded as such. There are many that do a fine job, however most we would never hear about as the news only really reports on the famous/front-benchers and shadow cabinet or those causing controversy.

What you do NOT want to do is make it less attractive to try being an MP, otherwise you only end up with those rich enough to afford it or those too poor that it's a better option than they had previously. This ends up with no-one representing the middle ground (which includes the vast majority of the electorate). Arguably, is the middle ground MPs that often are the best to have. If, for one, don't want to end up with a house of commons filled with militant poor left wingers and rich toffs, that's NOT representative which is what the HoC should be all about (which is why it's called the house of COMMONS).

Politically, it's never a "right" time to give MPs pay rises, however they should implement this independent body's recommendations (which is why it was setup so MPs don't give themselves any old rise, the separate body determines the pay) and hopefully the issue can be done with.

I think the larger issue is silly pays and pay offs for other public sector employees - there are plenty on MANY times more pay than MPs are and if sacked still get massive pay offs etc.

And also, oh, I can't be arsed, it's Friday.....

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
MPs should not paid wages but loans, like students, because they get highly paid jobs after they graduate from Westminster as a result of attending Parliament. They should therefore pay back the loan they got while in office.:moo:

Silly Idea. For a start, not all MP's do go on to have highly paid jobs afterwards, and some may choose not to, being interested in doing something useful in life rather than just "making money". And our politics would be all the poorer if such people were excluded.

KingstonSeagull

May 1, 2013
Shoreditch
Silly Idea. For a start, not all MP's do go on to have highly paid jobs afterwards, and some may choose not to, being interested in doing something useful in life rather than just "making money". And our politics would be all the poorer if such people were excluded.

Then in that case they are given accommodation like halls of residence but nicer and be fed and given an allowance for holidays and such like... starting to sound a lot like communism... It's not communism, Communism is gash...

teaboy

Jul 5, 2003
My house
True but in a democracy you do get the opportunity to get rid of those that aren't.

I don't think there have been many benign dictators.

Not under our current system. There are constituencies that are too 'safe' for whichever party. You also get to choose between a small group of people decided by their party which may give no real choice at all. And when 70% of people choose not to vote their voice counts for nothing - there's no way to actually say 'none of the above' or 'abstain' without being lumped in with the apathetic.

Was Thatcher trustworthy? Was Blair trustworthy? Did the country get rid of either, or get to choose their immediate replacement as PM?

gazingdown

Feb 26, 2011
Not under our current system. There are constituencies that are too 'safe' for whichever party. You also get to choose between a small group of people decided by their party which may give no real choice at all. And when 70% of people choose not to vote their voice counts for nothing - there's no way to actually say 'none of the above' or 'abstain' without being lumped in with the apathetic.

If people don't like the candidate that a given party (that they might vote for) put up, then join that party and campaign for a better candidate.

Many people complain (sometimes quite "vigorously") but seem to stop short when actually doing something about it. Martin Bell DID do this (ousted a safe seater), so can others either by standing as an MP or joining a given party and trying to influence that way.

teaboy

Jul 5, 2003
My house
If people don't like the candidate that a given party (that they might vote for) put up, then join that party and campaign for a better candidate.

Many people complain (sometimes quite "vigorously") but seem to stop short when actually doing something about it. Martin Bell DID do this (ousted a safe seater), so can others either by standing as an MP or joining a given party and trying to influence that way.

And does lead to 'better' government? I was unaware that Martin Bell was in government. I know he was an MP, but I don't think any independent has ever been in government...

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Why not just ban poor people from standing? Crazy idea.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here