Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Magoffin, Anyon and Jordan

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Kirtley and Lewry at their best were very good bowlers, in recent years.

I think you have to look at the whole bowling attack as a unit, too, and Mushy elevated any attack several notches.

If the 3 you mention had Mushy in the side with them, Sussex might actually be challenging for the Championship.

Perry Milkins

Just a quiet guy.
Aug 10, 2007
Ardingly
Kirtley and Lewry at their best were very good bowlers, in recent years.

I think you have to look at the whole bowling attack as a unit, too, and Mushy elevated any attack several notches.

If the 3 you mention had Mushy in the side with them, Sussex might actually be challenging for the Championship.

I suspect that some might raise the bar with Imran and le Roux..but despite having such an awesome opening pair I don't recall us pulling up any trees in the County Championship bar the year that Notts pipped us.

Pressure on Monty if and when the pitches are a lot dryer. The Mushmeister used to roll through batting line ups in those days.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
The presence of the fluffy fella a decade ago elevated a decent attack to an excellent one.

Ultimately, you need to be able to bowl out your opposition twice to win 4 or 5 day games. That becomes a lot harder if you only have one or two decent bowlers, as batsmen can just see out spells from dangerous bowlers. But with three bowlers, one of them is always getting a rest. That's why Sussex are where they are, IMO.

Perry Milkins

Just a quiet guy.
Aug 10, 2007
Ardingly
The presence of the fluffy fella a decade ago elevated a decent attack to an excellent one.

Ultimately, you need to be able to bowl out your opposition twice to win 4 or 5 day games. That becomes a lot harder if you only have one or two decent bowlers, as batsmen can just see out spells from dangerous bowlers. But with three bowlers, one of them is always getting a rest. That's why Sussex are where they are, IMO.

Come to think of it where is old Jamjar Khan, still injured? Useful bloke to come back fresh and ripping.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing

Yep. Panesar's role is as much to allow the seamers to operate full time from one end as to take wickets. 3 always rested seamers of their quality and variety are proving hard to contain this season.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
This is why we're top

Bowling.jpg

RyFish

Dec 6, 2011
I can't remember a Sussex team ever having three seamers taking a lot of wickets in the same season. And when you consider two of those (Anyon and Jordan) were discarded from other counties, it makes it all the more impressive.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
I can't remember a Sussex team ever having three seamers taking a lot of wickets in the same season. And when you consider two of those (Anyon and Jordan) were discarded from other counties, it makes it all the more impressive.
Indeed. Leaving aside the self-depreciating "were loose" tone that most of us adopt with Sussex cricket threads I wonder why we're so good at resurrecting bowlers careers? Panesar himself was going nowhere when he came here, and even the great and glorious Mushy (all hail to the fluffy one) was deemed to be 'past it' when he rocked up in Hove.

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
Magoffin's average of 18.0 is just outstanding.

Forgive my ignorance if there is an obvious reason why not, but do we run the risk of losing him to the Aussie's this summer?

Unlikely, the aussies believe their bowling attack is comparable to most, it is their batting that lets them down. It would take a few injuries for Magoffin to get a call-up.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I suspect that some might raise the bar with Imran and le Roux..

Ha. I'm actually older than you think. Immy and Le Roux were my heroes as a nipper at the County Ground. Immy especially. There was nobody much after them though, to consider it an overall line up. Adrian Jones maybe? (Though not sure Le Roux didn't finish before Jones arrived?)

Perry Milkins

Just a quiet guy.
Aug 10, 2007
Ardingly
Ha. I'm actually older than you think. Immy and Le Roux were my heroes as a nipper at the County Ground. Immy especially. There was nobody much after them though, to consider it an overall line up. Adrian Jones maybe? (Though not sure Le Roux didn't finish before Jones arrived?)

I have no appreciation of how old you are one way or another but that is not about this thread.

I have some stories about 'Immy' and Mr Le Roux which are not for a message board. PM me if needs be.

Lest thou never forget Roger 'Malcolm' Marshall :eek:

grawhite

Jul 6, 2011
Brighton
I remember back in the days of Tony Greg we had a pretty good attack, but can't remember the names.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here