Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Eating on a budget

MissGull

Apr 1, 2013
Anyone watching this show on BBC1 right now. Normal full time working families, not lavished with benefits that only have a quid a day per head to feed their families. Very interesting. Families more and more heavily relying on the food banks.

They've put professional chefs in each house that are trying to cook fresh and nutritious meals on these budgets, but not finding it easy by any means.

They are saying we are in a food crisis and people are getting a lot less for their money these days. Do you agree? Or is the advent of discounter shops making the food bill cheaper?

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
It takes skill, time and thought to reduce your shopping bill as well as easy access to cheap fresh food. Not everyone can do it.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Is it true that supermarkets have a secret location where they chuck food away that's out of date but probably still edible?

Kent Seagull

Jul 5, 2003
Tenterden, Kent
I'm not watching but if you're on on minimum wage food and rent is priority above everything else. Interested to know what families are spending money on in addition to food. Hopefully not fags, drink, sky tv and mobile phones etc.

Kent Seagull

Jul 5, 2003
Tenterden, Kent
Yes, it goes out for disposal. They aren't allowed to sell it, nor give it away.

I understood that some goes to homeless shelters if it's past sell by date but within use by?

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Yes, it goes out for disposal. They aren't allowed to sell it, nor give it away.

I once knew people who went on a scavenger hunt as they had been tipped off about where this stuff had been chucked... They said it was a scandal that perfectly edible food was being chucked because of over zealous 'best before dates' and regulations.

Kent Seagull

Jul 5, 2003
Tenterden, Kent

Stevie Boy

Nov 2, 2004
Horam
trying eating on nothing, i dont drink, i dont smoke, dont have sky, after all my bills have gone out i am left with £20 a week which feeds my kids when i have them, and to run a car, got left with a rather large debt by the bitch of an ex wife

Last edited:

Spun Cuppa

Thanks Greens :(
There's a charity called FareShare that sends out vans and crews to distribute surplus food from various sources, to worthy causes, including seemingly proliferating urban food banks

Btw When Springsteen plays a town/city, he makes a point of making a donation to the local food bank. What a guy :)

Mr Smggles

May 11, 2009
Winchester
I understood that some goes to homeless shelters if it's past sell by date but within use by?

I would imagine some do, but certainly not all. I used to work for sainsburys last year, and I was not aware of any homeless scheme. It is a huge waste to chuck so much away.

KNC

Sep 3, 2003
Seven Dials
What a country we live in.

South Stand Rebel

Sep 6, 2012
That's what happens when individuals/families care more for material possessions than buying food.

Any evidence to back up this tory boy statement?

How about the fact that they may have bought their material possessions when they were better off. Now thanks to this farce of a government, they still have the same amount of income, but now it is worth so much less.

MissGull

Apr 1, 2013
The families seen on this programme didn't seem to be smoking, drinking etc. definitely nothing lavish about their lifestyles. The living wage doesn't afford luxuries seemingly. They had mortgages, and had enough money to live on in the past, but not now.

I receive more than the average wage. So fortunately am not in this situation, but what an eye opener.

I have worked in food retail and the issue with fare share was that at 10pm when the store shuts, they aren't interested in taking the food. There's not a lot they can do with it at that hour.

Sompting_Seagull

Jun 8, 2011
North Stand
Best time to shop in supermarkets is in the evening when the daily deals are put out, real bargains to be had then, as long as you're prepared to use your elbows, it can get lively!

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
There's a charity called FareShare that sends out vans and crews to distribute surplus food from various sources, to worthy causes, including seemingly proliferating urban food banks

Btw When Springsteen plays a town/city, he makes a point of making a donation to the local food bank. What a guy :)

Elliott Bennett helped out the Telford food bank a few weeks ago a couple of nights before his wedding. Nobody knew anything about it, he just turned up to help out.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here