Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

It does pay...............

hitony

Administrator
Jul 13, 2005
South Wales (im not welsh !!)
To work hard and never give up!

Not to many people know this, but pretty much all my life I was in construction (Private Housing, senior manager blah blah blah) I, like many people, sadly got made redundant 5 years ago, from a job I really thought I would be in till retirement. I have tried many different things, and I must say I really thought I was on the scrap heap.

Just under 4 months ago I applied for a job I just never thought I would get an interview for, let alone get the job, it was fast tracking to be a manager of a bookmaker's (those that disagree with gambling please move on now) I don't even gamble! well I got the interview and got the position on the basis that if I did not pass the course I was out on my ear, well its been 3.5 months, some / most days I have worked 14 hours.

By my regional managers comments at the interview, it is a hard slog and a vast amount to learn, but my previous history basically got me the chance.

About 30 minutes ago, my boss contacted me (I am on a day off today and tomorrow) and said I have passed with flying colours, I also now have my own shop in a very good part of Cardiff :) sorry for the self indulgent thread, but I do still have a mortgage to pay and to say I am happy is probably the biggest understatement ever! :)

My moral is, and I appreciate there are many people on here who have suffered redundancy and unemployment, just don't ever give up!

Like all good news, It's followed by bad...........just been informed a very good friend of mine has just died :(

End of thread.....sorry........

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
About time to you damned skiver. :smile:

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patreon
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Good news and congratulations. :thumbsup:

Sorry I couldn't help out more when the times were tough.

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
Good for you mate!

Redundancy is bloody terrible and has hit me personally and a lot of people I know. Trying to get back into work can be a real challenge when you've been unemployed for a while, but you got your chance and grabbed it with both hands. Well done :)

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patreon
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Well done mate, congratulations.:thumbsup:

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
Well done. Convincing potential employers that you're capable of doing something different to what you've done previously is never easy.

piersa

Apr 17, 2011
London
Top Banana. Hope you get some decent tips to share with us :)

Pbseagull

Sep 28, 2011
Eastbourne
Congratulations!! :thumbsup:

ps... good that you're not a gambler, my late Dad was a bookmaker, on course and a shop but he liked to gamble as well ( mainly poker) , unfortunately although he was a decent bookmaker he was a terrible gambler, went bankrupt twice!!

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Nice one Tony...a bookie in Cardiff eh! I might come in for a visit. Well done mate.

The Antikythera Mechanism

The oldest known computer
NSC Patreon
Aug 7, 2003
Having been in construction all my life and having suffered two, albeit short, redundancies, I appreciate what you have had to go through. The house building sector does seem to be picking up, though, so you might be back doing what you know best, if you so choose. Well done on the career change, takes a lot of character.

hitony

Administrator
Jul 13, 2005
South Wales (im not welsh !!)
Good for you mate!

Thanks Rich :thumbsup:

Redundancy is bloody terrible and has hit me personally and a lot of people I know. Trying to get back into work can be a real challenge when you've been unemployed for a while, but you got your chance and grabbed it with both hands. Well done :)

Thank you, it can be done, I really hope your situation improves for you, please do keep at it.

Well done. Convincing potential employers that you're capable of doing something different to what you've done previously is never easy.

Especially when your not 21 anymore :lol: thanks :thumbsup:

Top Banana. Hope you get some decent tips to share with us :)

2 days ago I gave a tip to my son and he lost £40......steer clear of my tips!!! :lol:

Nice one Tony...a bookie in Cardiff eh! I might come in for a visit. Well done mate.

El I will let you know exactly where my shop is mate, Thanks :thumbsup:

Well done but beware mystery shoppers etc, PM Ninja Elephant about that

Thanks Ernie, I have already been mystery shopped (4weeks into my training) and got an A+ :)

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
To work hard and never give up!

Not to many people know this, but pretty much all my life I was in construction (Private Housing, senior manager blah blah blah) I, like many people, sadly got made redundant 5 years ago, from a job I really thought I would be in till retirement. I have tried many different things, and I must say I really thought I was on the scrap heap.

Just under 4 months ago I applied for a job I just never thought I would get an interview for, let alone get the job, it was fast tracking to be a manager of a bookmaker's (those that disagree with gambling please move on now) I don't even gamble! well I got the interview and got the position on the basis that if I did not pass the course I was out on my ear, well its been 3.5 months, some / most days I have worked 14 hours.

By my regional managers comments at the interview, it is a hard slog and a vast amount to learn, but my previous history basically got me the chance.

About 30 minutes ago, my boss contacted me (I am on a day off today and tomorrow) and said I have passed with flying colours, I also now have my own shop in a very good part of Cardiff :) sorry for the self indulgent thread, but I do still have a mortgage to pay and to say I am happy is probably the biggest understatement ever! :)

My moral is, and I appreciate there are many people on here who have suffered redundancy and unemployment, just don't ever give up!

Like all good news, It's followed by bad...........just been informed a very good friend of mine has just died :(

End of thread.....sorry........

well done mate
having lived in Wales for a while I know from lots of people who lived around me just how difficult getting any sort of work there is.
best of luck with the new venture

WATFORD zero

NSC Patreon
Jul 10, 2003
Well done Hitony.

I know redundancy can really knock your confidence, particularly when you have a lot of responsibilities. Years ago, I had a lucky hat trick of them starting when HSBC took over Midland. I thought i'd covered myself in the next position with a 12 month rolling contract with a large financial institution. They then went into administration owing me 12 months salary ! and I then topped it off with taking a small salary and large options on a .com startup that went bust (All the time having a large mortgage and small children).

But as you've proved, get yourself up, dust yourself down and go for it again and it can work out well :thumbsup:.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here