Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Sussex doing well in the County Championship

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
Top of the table. Only undefeated team. Most batting bonus points. Most bowling bonus points.

Are they in with a realistic chance of winning it?

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
Not at all the table is upside down. Sussex are only there by a complete fluke, the cream will eventually rise to the top.

chimneys

Jun 11, 2007
Irony aside for a second......with our playing our other main contenders, Yorkshire at home and Durham home and away, in last 3 games, going to be an interesting finish to season!

Was not Was

Loitering with intent
Jul 31, 2003
It is odd, though. Even during the amazingly successful naughties, when we relied on teamwork and the sum was very much greater than the parts, you looked at the team and saw outstanding performers. Now, I look at Sussex's Championship team and see solid journeymen.

I'm delighted we're top of the table, but amazed too.

Maybe I've just gone to the wrong matches.

Oh, and were loose.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Top of the table. Only undefeated team. Most batting bonus points. Most bowling bonus points.

Are they in with a realistic chance of winning it?

No chance. We've fluked enough points early doors to probably avoid relegation (how many years can we keep on dodging that bullet?) but tiny, provincial clubs like Sussex can't expect to win trophies.

I expect Surrey will win as they deserve it. Either that or they'll give it to that other big side, Lanacashire, as consolation for being based in, well, Lanacashire and having to put up with the crap weather. Can't write off other big sides such as Yorkshire, Somerset, Warwickshire or Durham either.

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
If one of the shire counties are 25 points behind us and we are still at the top going into the last matches of the season ,we will be deducted 25 points the night before the match for the very temerity of still being top .

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
No chance. We've fluked enough points early doors to probably avoid relegation (how many years can we keep on dodging that bullet?) but tiny, provincial clubs like Sussex can't expect to win trophies.

I expect Surrey will win as they deserve it. Either that or they'll give it to that other big side, Lancashire, as consolation for being based in, well, Lanacashire and having to put up with the crap weather. Can't write off other big sides such as Yorkshire, Somerset, Warwickshire or Durham either.
Shrewd analysis. It is amazing how regularly sport allows the plucky underdog a moment in the sun but even Sussex's most ardent fans would still snap your arm off for a 7th position finish this year.

As for the title - definite likelihood of a late charge from Surrey (they are far too big a club to be in the doldrums for long).

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003

I expect Surrey will win as they deserve it. Either that or they'll give it to that other big side, Lanacashire, as consolation for being based in, well, Lanacashire and having to put up with the crap weather. Can't write off other big sides such as Yorkshire, Somerset, Warwickshire or Durham either.

I'll admit I'm not the most knowledgeable person when it comes to County Cricket, but why do you refer to Durham as a "big side"? Surely they're the newest First Class county?

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
I'll admit I'm not the most knowledgeable person when it comes to County Cricket, but why do you refer to Durham as a "big side"? Surely they're the newest First Class county?

Test ground. They've come from nowhere and totally eclipsed us. Sussex have been playing county cricket since about the fourteenth century and Durham have won about the same number of championships as us!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here