Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

My poor wife

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Yesterday she was visiting a poorly friend of hers when her friends dog started making all sorts of strange noises ....they went into the front room and spotted a snake diving behind a unit.

They moved the unit and as she works in a school, she is used to handling snakes, so she put garden gloves on and went to pick it up to put it outside....it bit her through the gloves!

Turned out it was an ADDER!

She is in hospital now having been told to call 999 and getting an ambulance!

Her finger has blown up to twice its size and the swelling spread up her arm..it looked really red and swollen and has two puncture marks on her finger.

Be careful out there...it's a jungle:down:

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Good grief. Hope it is all OK.

I never like leaving doors open downstairs "unattended" in case a cat or something gets in. We did have a rat in our dining room once, which got banged with a shovel. But I would never have thought of snakes.

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks
If she failed to pick it up by the tail whilst exclaiming "by crikey, this ones a little beauty" then she's only got herself to blame.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
You should never try to handle a non-pet snake. The ones in a school would have been used to being handled. It's best to find a box and encourage it towards it at arms length.

We did have a rat in our dining room once, which got banged with a shovel. .......

UB40 had one in their kitchen, instead of banging it with a shovel they wrote a song about it.

All joking apart hope the good lady in question soon recovers and is able to look back on it and laugh. What happened to the snake?

Nathan

Jan 8, 2010
You should never try to handle a non-pet snake. The ones in a school would have been used to being handled. It's best to find a box and encourage it towards it at arms length.

Or just get in the box yourself and hope hope the snake pisses off back in the garden.

KingstonSeagull

May 1, 2013
Shoreditch
That's the most poisonous snake in this entire region! So what I'm gonna do, is sneak up on him, and jam my thumb in his butthole! Cranky! -jumps on snake- Boy this snake is really pissed! I'm gonna jam my thumb in his butthole now! Oh yeah, that pissed it off alright! South Park anyone?

Chicken Runner61

We stand where we want!
May 20, 2007
I always thought the catering company on the London to Brighton train should be called "Snacks on a Train"

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
How on earth did an adder get into her front room? They are usually incredibly timid creatures so you'd have thought it would go nowhere near someone's house! I've only seen one twice. Once saw one sunbathing on our patio when I was a kid living in Newick, and as soon as it saw us it couldn't escape quickly enough. The second time was in Bracknell forest 5 years ago and again it wanted nothing to do with human contact.

Kumquat

Mar 2, 2009
UB40 had one in their kitchen, instead of banging it with a shovel they wrote a song about it.

All joking apart hope the good lady in question soon recovers and is able to look back on it and laugh. What happened to the snake?

I seem to remember that the rat in the kitchen that UB40 referred to was more alluding to a person (wife or girlfriend I presume) who was bad mouthing the vocalist around town and suchlike. Furthermore, said vocalists method for dealing with this "rat" was "i'm gonna fix that rat, that's what i'm gonna do" without getting in to any further specifics.

Suffice to say, real rat or not, I for one am not going to take any concrete lessons from Ali Campbell and his mob on how to deal with a rat in my kitchen. Or the dining room. Or for that matter a snake in the front room.

Tom Bombadil

Jul 14, 2003
Jibrovia
Is this the class your wife teaches?

Snake-3_1421021i.jpg

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Hope Mrs Weatherwax makes a speedy recovery. Have to say some of the responses have made me laugh though !

I seem to remember that the rat in the kitchen that UB40 referred to was more alluding to a person (wife or girlfriend I presume) who was bad mouthing the vocalist around town and suchlike. Furthermore, said vocalists method for dealing with this "rat" was "i'm gonna fix that rat, that's what i'm gonna do" without getting in to any further specifics.

Suffice to say, real rat or not, I for one am not going to take any concrete lessons from Ali Campbell and his mob on how to deal with a rat in my kitchen. Or the dining room. Or for that matter a snake in the front room.

I have very little time for the tuneless dronings of the Campbell brothers or their rag tag army of a band who, despite their numbers, produce as much noise as a wallaby farting which is far more tuneful. They may scare away a snake though.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
so we all know.[h=1]Adder[/h]
1021978big.jpg

The adder is the only venomous snake native to Britain. Adders have the most highly developed venom injecting mechanism of all snakes, but they are not aggressive animals. Adders will only use their venom as a last means of defence, usually if caught or trodden on. No one has died from adder bite in Britain for over 20 years. With proper treatment, the worst effects are nausea and drowsiness, followed by severe swelling and bruising in the area of the bite. Most people who are bitten were handling the snake. Treat adders with respect and leave them alone....

http://www.forestry.gov.uk/forestry/Adder

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
I hate snakes! One of the downsides of being a father is trying not to pass your fears onto your kids. I have needed to hold snakes at drusillas and stand next to a 18ft python being held by 6 men including that nutter from live and deadly who was presenting at the Cotswold wildlife park. The only upside was getting to meet Naomi who used to be on milkshake and who now co presents with him.

So Mrs Weatherwax has my best wishes

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Snakes are great so long as they don't try to kill you.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here