Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Five Music heroes plus one you may not have heard of

.....On the variation of the several ".....Name Five...." lists currently running. In the interests of musical education add a sixth that people probably haven't heard of and a brief reason why.

1. Les Paul
  2. Joe Boyd
  3. Phil Lynott
  4. Wilko Johnson
  5. Richard Thompson

Plus

Richard Shindell - American Singer/songwriter - saw him in a support slot a couple of years ago and was hooked by the second verse. Haunting, "story" type lyrics that you are not quite sure of the meaning.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
1. Lemmy
2. Robert Plant
3. David Bowie
4. James Hetfield
5. Daevid Allen

Plus

6. Dustin Bentall, Canadian singer/guitarist, plays solo, with his band The Smøkes, or his girlfriend Kendal Carson. A mix of Rock & Blues with a Country twist. Saw him in Brighton last month, he has a stunning voice, plays great, original music very well, and has a great repertoire and bunch of stories despite his young age. New Album, “You are an Island” just out, worth a listen, check out 3000 Miles.

1. Lemmy
2. Robert Plant
3. David Bowie
4. James Hetfield
5. Daevid Allen

Plus

6. Dustin Bentall, Canadian singer/guitarist, plays solo, with his band The Smøkes, or his girlfriend Kendal Carson. A mix of Rock & Blues with a Country twist. Saw him in Brighton last month, he has a stunning voice, plays great, original music very well, and has a great repertoire and bunch of stories despite his young age. New Album, “You are an Island” just out, worth a listen, check out 3000 Miles.

..Added to my "albums to listen to" on Spotify, thanks! Sounds just my sort of thing.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patreon
Jan 3, 2012
Duane Allman
Jack Bruce
Ry Cooder
Peter Gabriel
Miles Davis

Don't know how well known he would be - known to some but not to others, but my more obscure one would be Joe Zawinul, who actually died a couple of years ago, in his seventies. Pianist, keyboard player, master and pioneer of the synthesiser, Austrian by birth but played with Miles Davis in his early days, formed Weather Report, numerous stunning musical forays since then, but always innovative, self-effacing, modest and a great one for spotting and nurturing young talent. I saw him twice with his "Syndicate" shortly before he died - stunning music.

16 bit 44.1

May 17, 2011
Hove
1. Kate Bush
2. Jaz Coleman
3. Joe Strummer
4. Ian Curtis
5. Lou Reed

6.Lisa Germano - Start with "From a Shell" and then move on from there. If you can find the original video for the track it gives it extra meaning but despite the fact that it was for a "positive awareness" campaign it doesnt tend to last long on the usual portals. She writes great songs and has collaborated with some of the very best including Radiohead but solo success on a large scale eludes her.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Jesus. Just 5? Here goes...in no order apart from the first one

Micheal Eavis
Ralf Hütter
Norman Cook
Damon Albarn
Joe Strummer

catfish

North Stand Brighton Boy
Dec 17, 2010
Worthing
1. Wilko Johnson
2. Jimi Hendrix
3. Taj Mahal
4. Van Morrison
5. Howlin Wolf

Plus Catfish Keith - incredibly talented and dextrous American blues guitarist.

the wanderbus

Dec 7, 2004
pogle's wood
Les McKeown, Johnny Logan, Kelly Marie, Daniel O'Donnell, Robbie Nevill PLUS Gonk:guitar: from Tennessee Sunrise

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Les McKeown, Johnny Logan, Kelly Marie, Daniel O'Donnell, Robbie Nevill PLUS Gonk:guitar: from Tennessee Sunrise

Can you point me to Gonk & Tennessee Sunrise, can't find out anything

Trevor

In my Fifties, still know nothing
NSC Patreon
Dec 16, 2012
Milton Keynes
1) Bob Dylan
2) Roger Waters
3) David Byrne
4) Springsteen
5) Chuck Berry

Plus Joe D'Urso who is the best supporting act that I have ever seen (Supported Southside Johnny & the Asbury Jukes)

1) Bob Dylan
2) Roger Waters
3) David Byrne
4) Springsteen
5) Chuck Berry

Plus Joe D'Urso who is the best supporting act that I have ever seen (Supported Southside Johnny & the Asbury Jukes)

Any relation to Andy D'Urso, perhaps a better referee? Would love see SSJ & TAJ Live but how many of the originals are in the band?

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
Otis Redding
Bob Dylan
Curtis Mayfield
Paul Weller
David Bowie

Tony Peluso - guitarist on "Goodbye to Love"

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills