Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Thirteen Dumbest Band Names in Rock History.

Mowgli37

Enigmatic Asthmatic
Jan 13, 2013
Sheffield
All very stupid except for number 13, I take exception to his comments there! Let's Wrestle (yeah exactly, who?) would be my nomination, dreadful band, dreadful name.

Mowgli37

Enigmatic Asthmatic
Jan 13, 2013
Sheffield
For a mainstream band, I suppose you could say Deep Purple have a pretty crap name

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Hmm . . . some quite good bands there. 'AC' however not only have a dreadful name, but their lyrics are a disgrace.

Here's a few alternatives:

Vardis (influenced by Status Quo . . . not a massive leap of ingenuity there)
The The (only because if you search for them online . . . .you get a billion unrelated hits)
Ed Banger and the Nosebleeds (pretend punk band fronted by the otherwise divine and totally miss-cast Vini Reilly)
The Fugs (noth thugs, hippies with a poor name for their band)
Smeggy and the cheesybits (pretend punks, er, from Brighton)
Why (why indeed)
Raped (had to change their name to the cuddly toys - even the punks thought the name wasn't very appropriate, way back when)
Mandalaband (any band incorporating 'band' into a single words name is doomed, as were this lot of pomp rockers. Saw them at The Dome . . . dreadful)
Genesis P Orridge (the singer, not the band, but every time I listen to Throbbing Gristle, I think of Norman Stanley Fletcher . . .own goal)
The Four Skins (oh, ha ha, what wit).

Here are a few bands with quirky names who are actually, er, dead good, in my minute opinion

Velvet Acid Christ
Apoptygma Berserk
Now is the time to forget the wimpering child and become the warrior

That'll do for now . . . Lol!

JamesAndTheGiantHead

Sep 2, 2011
Worthing
I hate the name Deacon Blue, but that's only because I always picture Duncan from Blue when I hear them mentioned.

image.jpg

Edit; After a quick glance through my collection I'd also like to add Kitchens Of Distinction.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I hate the name Deacon Blue, but that's only because I always picture Duncan from Blue when I hear them mentioned.

View attachment 44676

Edit; After a quick glance through my collection I'd also like to add Kitchens Of Distinction.

KOD - another bad name, but great band. I salute your impeccable taste. (Agree also about Deacon Blue - refused to listen to them for years, on the basis of the name alone - but they are v good IMO).

Monkey Man

Your support is not that great
Jan 30, 2005
Neither here nor there
To me the worst band names are the ones that have already been claimed by actual places.

"What shall we call the band?"

"What about 'Boston'?"

"Yes, not bad. But there is a city called that already. Any other ideas?"

"Er ... Chicago?"

"Same problem. Any more?"

"America?"

"That's a country. We need to avoid countries and city names."

"Got it. Asia."

"Er ..."

"Or Europe?"

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I remember a similar list years ago and the two names which have stuck with me were John Cougar ConcentrationCamp and Reo Speed-dealer.

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
My personal favourite:

Meanwhile, Back In Communist Russia...

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Cant really see whats wrong with Toad the Wet Sprocket.

and the critique of the Beatles is just to be a bit controversial and drive lots of clicks. what they say is a childish pun and no deep meaning has a hell of lot more depth than alot of band names.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
Gorky's Zygotic Mynki...I mean, wtf?
A Flock of Seagulls...we don't flock.
Millions of Dead Cops.
D Ream.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here