Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Whatever you think about the demise of Gus at the Albion

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
You would have to be a complete football dinasour not to appreciate the style of football he introduced. Such a joy on the days it worked and it worked far more often than the drab fearful displays we saw occasionally.

Whatever the outcome I will always be grateful that Bloom took a chance on him. I imagine any half reasonable manager would have done well given the move from Withdean and the money invested on the playing side and the stadium with 25k plus crowds but we should not lose sight of the legacy of Gus, however you feel about the way it ended. If Oscar takes us to the next level it will be with squad put together by Gus albeit tweaked.

Just hope Gus has learnt from his mistakes and goes on to be a bit more circumspect in his next job.

I would struggle to watch an Albion team playing hoof ball even if it was successful after the spectacular football I have witnessed in the the last three years.

I guess this is just a thread to thank Gus Poyet and wish him well when all this ends :shrug:

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patreon
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Feel the same way. Regardless of the comments that he made and how it has all ended, what cannot be denied is the style of football that we played and the level of improvement of some of the players.

Great times, great games, good memories......

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
The historical records will show 95 points in a season, longest number of weeks at the top of the division, and promotion when moving into the Amex.
It was good while it lasted.

ozzygull

Oct 6, 2003
Reading
I agree. There were some games last season, I almost had to pinch myself to believe this was my team playing such fantastic flair football. I wish Gus well and hope he has learnt from what has happened. But the way he behaved in some the interviews, I think since March and the Reading thing, made it very difficult for him to stay and I hope we have a good replacement with Oscar. I listen to the pre match interview before the second play off semi and you could sense something was not right.

Sorry this was supposed to be a thank you. So thanks Gus for making me so proud of the Brighton team I have been watching for the last three season, it was truly great.

Last edited:

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
You would have to be a complete football dinasour not to appreciate the style of football he introduced. Such a joy on the days it worked and it worked far more often than the drab fearful displays we saw occasionally.

Whatever the outcome I will always be grateful that Bloom took a chance on him. I imagine any half reasonable manager would have done well given the move from Withdean and the money invested on the playing side and the stadium with 25k plus crowds but we should not lose sight of the legacy of Gus, however you feel about the way it ended. If Oscar takes us to the next level it will be with squad put together by Gus albeit tweaked.

Just hope Gus has learnt from his mistakes and goes on to be a bit more circumspect in his next job.

I would struggle to watch an Albion team playing hoof ball even if it was successful after the spectacular football I have witnessed in the the last three years.

I guess this is just a thread to thank Gus Poyet and wish him well when all this ends :shrug:

Very well said.

Aside from the end days, it was a great time, and Gus deserves all the praise and plaudits he gets for that. When the dust has settled a bit more, he'll be very happily remembered, I think, and I truely wish him well for the future, and look forward to welcoming back to the AMEX one day.

Hugh'sDad

Nov 29, 2011
'Ove
He was a character.They come, they go, and the The Club rolls on.
It almost never ends with a smile, but we'll look back with affection, I'm sure.

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park
Changed the entire footballing culture at the club. My abiding memory of Gus came in his first few weeks at the club when he used to stand just to the right hand side of the dugout at Withdean screaming "pass", "pass" to Adam El Abd. He really did instil a wonderful, continental style of football. Just a shame he didn't appreciate what an absolutely brilliant gig he had at the Albion.

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
If OG gets us promotion with basicly the same set of players.It won't be because Poyet. laid the foundations.It will be because OG managed them better.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
If OG gets us promotion with basicly the same set of players.It won't be because Poyet. laid the foundations.It will be because OG managed them better.

You just can't help yourself, can you? There are some threads that you should ignore.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011

What if he, god forbid, fails? I bet that'll be Gus' fault.

Gus gets NO credit. As usual from you.

Gus did a fantastic job. Let's hope Oscar takes us to the next level

Jun 24, 2010
Goring
I do agree with the sentiment here - let's face it we have never had better football to watch (well certainly in my 28 years as a regular), but in 20 years time I'm not sure what I will remember most - the fluid flair football, or the naive hotheaded outbursts. Only time will tell I guess.....

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003

Well said. But can we just move on now? I support the club and not Gus.

Commander

NSC Patreon
Apr 28, 2004
London
You would have to be a complete football dinasour not to appreciate the style of football he introduced.

Wait for it...

The chancer just got lucky:moo:

Here they are.

And I have no idea why you are pretending you're all happy with Oscar, you do realise it's going to be the same style of football with a load of Spanish players again, don't you? Its called continuity, and is the reason we didn't go for Allardyce or McCarthy or Warnock or any of those managers that you'd have loved.You'll be moaning about why Oscar doesn't get us to just boot it up to Ulloa within a couple of months. And your comment is completely ridiculous anyway. This team is Gus' team that he built, if we go up with it then of course some of the credit has to go to him. These players came to play for him, they wouldn't be here otherwise. This ridiculous argument of "he couldn't do it with all these players" is farcical, he put those players together in the first place!

armchairclubber

Aug 8, 2010
Bexhill
Although it has seemed inevitable for a while have always thought we were good for Gus and him good for us, think he could have taken us much further. A real shame his ego got in the way and he overstepped the mark, don't think either club or him gain anything but have absolute faith in TB's heart for the club in the longterm. Wish Gus well, hope he learns a lesson or two (shame we wont benefit)... the football the Albion have played in the last year or two is by far the best I've seen by them in last 30 odd years and suspect ever but then English league football has come a long way

Commander

NSC Patreon
Apr 28, 2004
London
should have walked to the Prem with the team we had last season, he failed at the biggest hurdle

Complete rubbish. Our squad before Ulloa was a top 6 squad at absolute best. Once we signed him we had a squad capable of automatic promotion, and had we had him from the start, we would have got it. We didn't, because we couldn't sign him until January due to problems with his passport which were completely out of Poyet's control. To say we had a squad that should have walked to the Prem is totally and utterly wrong, because we didn't have anything like that for the first half of the season.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here