Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Upson signing today!

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Is this thread based purely upon the Argus story, or do you know something more?

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
As I said elsewhere, would be a significant signing.

In the 12 games he partnered Greer last season, including play offs, we kept 7 clean sheets.

In 22 games started by El Abd and Greer we kept six.

With Greer and Upson the Albion let in around half a goal a game average.

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
http://www.theargus.co.uk/sport/10536431.Albion_close_in_on_Upson/

Albion are closing in on recapturing Matt Upson.

They have been in talks with the former England centre-half and hope to conclude a deal before the first team squad fly out to Spain on Sunday.

The return of Upson would be a huge boost for the Seagulls and supporters ahead of their third Championship campaign at The Amex.

Ex-England left-back Wayne Bridge has signed for rivals Reading after starring on loan to Albion from Manchester City last season.

Fans have been fretting about losing Upson from the meanest defence in the Championship as well following a turbulent summer, with boss Gus Poyet sacked pending an appeal and Spaniard Oscar Garcia appointed head coach.

Upson became a key figure in the side which reached the play-offs under Poyet before losing over two legs to arch-rivals Crystal palace.

The 34-year-old arrived on loan from Premier League Stoke City at the end of the January transfer window for the rest of the season.

He forged effective partnerships with first Adam El-Abd and then fit-again captain Gordon Greer.

Upson’s vast experience and aerial prowess proved pivotal in helping Albion clinch a top six spot with only three defeats in 18 outings.

The change of leadership has not dissuaded him and The Argus understands the former Arsenal and West Ham stopper, released by Stoke, is ready to follow El-Abd in putting pen to paper.

Long-serving El-Abd has just signed a new two-year contract. Upson’s return would give Garcia healthy options at the heart of the defence, with Greer and Lewis Dunk also involved in the fight for places.

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
Argus rarely get it wrong!

tumblr_mbnpg5LN7A1r6h7wh.gif

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011

In the 12 games he partnered Greer last season, including play offs, we kept 7 clean sheets.

You did say elsewhere I remember, in your blog.

Wasn't it the day of the play off defeat? Tweeted it as something along the lines of 'this is why Palace won't win' :wozza:

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
anyway, hope it's true

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003

Agreed - and further to this I believe our defensive performances improved over time as he settled?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here