Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

England v Australia - 1st Test Trent Bridge

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
So with glory in Rugby and Tennis recently will this be a series victory and rub salt into the Aussies wounds recently inflicted or will we fail to step up to the mark ?

Kumquat

Mar 2, 2009
I think it's going to need a positive start unlike the 2005 series. I think with Vaughan in charge we would walk this but with Cook I'm less sure. Confidence will be a big thing and I think our opening three will have to be solid. But we should open up their batsmen ok. If you look at it on paper though it's ridiculously unclose. You can see Anderson and Broad/Finn firing out the top four no problem. Then Clarke and Haddin who are both class players will still find it hard against Swann. Batting wise, only Bairstow has something really to prove and our bowlers are all experienced. Basicall, we should walk this but as Flintoff said yesterday, we aren't great sometimes when we are favourites.

chucky1973

Nov 3, 2010
Crawley
what a summer we are having for sport, the lions was immense, not sure that feeling can be beaten, but a win in the ashes will come pretty close

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
A bang average England (+SA Ressies) v The worst side in Aussie history

Sorry, can't get quite as quite hyped up as Sky Sports about this, if this England team is as good as it thinks it is then if the weather doesn't intervene they should win 5-0.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Looking forward to Tyrone Biggums telling us in September than nobody in Australia cares about the Ashes.

Naturally, that would require us to WIN.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Ashton Agar making his baggy cap debut with 9 first class games under his belt. Interesting.

he's the one that was supposedly only in the squad until the second test, 'to gain experience', and wasn't expected to take part?

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
Swann might have a battle on his hands to be the best spinner in this series.
Roots improving all the time

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Australia haven't got anyone who can actually SPIN the ball. Maybe this lad showed how it was done and practice so they've chucked him in?

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Swann might have a battle on his hands to be the best spinner in this series.
Roots improving all the time

I've posted the same suggestion on the main Ashes thread. NOT for this series though (or even any time soon), but I believe that one day Root's bowling might develop to the point that he can be the main spinner, and finally allow England to play five bowlers.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
I've posted the same suggestion on the main Ashes thread. NOT for this series though (or even any time soon), but I believe that one day Root's bowling might develop to the point that he can be the main spinner, and finally allow England to play five bowlers.

Mine was more of a dig about the Aussies spin options. But for a part-timer he is bloody good

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Ashton Agar making his baggy cap debut with 9 first class games under his belt. Interesting.

Indeed. Ashton Charles Agar, I noted on espncricinfo, whilst checking his mediocre stats. What sort of name is Ashton Charles for a convict?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here