Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Football's Suicide Secret

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
Just noticed this on the Sky EPG, tonight at 9pm on BBC Three.

The description of it is: "Clarke Carlisle investigates depression and suicide in British football and why footballers are suffering in silence. Contains some strong language and some upsetting scenes".

Probably not to everyone's tastes by any means and almost certainly not an easy watch, but possibly interesting in it's own way.

Just noticed this on the Sky EPG, tonight at 9pm on BBC Three.

The description of it is: "Clarke Carlisle investigates depression and suicide in British football and why footballers are suffering in silence. Contains some strong language and some upsetting scenes".

Probably not to everyone's tastes by any means and almost certainly not an easy watch, but possibly interesting in it's own way.

Did they really have to show Zaha's two goals against us?

Now I feel depressed!

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Was there any warning announcement ???

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Yeah, saw that trailed. Not watching. Same old story. Macho profession, troubles verboten, slightly higher than average suicide risk. All sympathy to the suffering and dead, but its not a story. Its exploitation TV.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Yeah, saw that trailed. Not watching. Same old story. Macho profession, troubles verboten, slightly higher than average suicide risk. All sympathy to the suffering and dead, but its not a story. Its exploitation TV.

Or maybe bringing depression into the debate. Still misunderstood and maligned. Good for Clarke I say and all power to him for trying to help.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Or maybe bringing depression into the debate. Still misunderstood and maligned. Good for Clarke I say and all power to him for trying to help.

Yes, OK, I was a bit harsh. But suicide is much more prevalent in other walks of life. My guess is it is lower than average among footy players. Depression though, well, if you get the boot then it is hard, and plenty do in footy, and that would depress anyone. But I imagine this is not what the prog is about (i.e., reactive depression). Its is more likely about successful players going sick (endogenous depression - like Stan). Not wishing to denigrate in any way, but endogenous depression is not career related (which is why its called endogenous). Pressure of job depression . .. like I say, there are other professions where it hits much harder. Medicine is very bad. In my game, the prevalence is probably average but You Do Not admit to it or you are F***ed. Rewinding my neck . . . . maybe that's the point of this programme . . . . although . . . I have a feeling that the footy community is more sympathetic (notwithstanding the nobfans) than many. In my game the attitude is 'really sorry old son, but you are toast'. And my job is mundane, trust me. No, I still recon this is exploitation TV and I'm not changing channel . . . oh bugger I just have . . . let's see . . .

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

People have little sympathy for anyone suffering with depression. Footballers especially as they are supposed to love their job, and get well paid. As if money is everything! It just means you can be miserable in comfort. Mental illness is very common but very under funded in the NHS.
http://cep.lse.ac.uk/pubs/download/special/cepsp26.pdf

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Clarke Carlisle is charismatic and will be a good politician. Not sure I'd trust him with my missus, though . . .

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Pragramme is all about C C innit . . . .

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
It is a fact that people who suffer from depression tend to only talk about themselves. It is part of the disease but the programme has looked into Hendry, Speed and the German goalie so all in all a very good and informative programme.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

It is though. Not that I'm complaining . . . he's an attractive character. His thing was the drink. He had several years of it. Amazing how vanity can bring you back from the brink. Viva vanity . . ..

I think we may have a conversation brewing here . . . . these are complex issues.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
That Bradford performance was class. CC bystander . . . .

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
My head of department resigned in the middle of a staff meeting because of depression. The response was tumbleweed. Its everywhere, not just football. And it is met with ignorance and distaste. And this programme still seems to be about CC . . . journalism . . . .whatever.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
All I can say is that people who carry on in life with depression are infact the strongest people in the World and they have my full respect.

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
My head of department resigned in the middle of a staff meeting because of depression. The response was tumbleweed. Its everywhere, not just football. And it is met with ignorance and distaste. And this programme still seems to be about CC . . . journalism . . . .whatever.

I'm grateful that my own battles with my mental well-being have averted me from the cynicism that you display concerning tonight's programme (& the issues therein). God help any of your loved-ones were they to suffer in such a way...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here