Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

A question for you would-be referees out there

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Not sure but think if the ref is satisfied the ball would have entered the net then it's a goal. No different to the Liverpool beach ball incident which the ref didn't give but the concensus was that he should have done.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Play on.

Paris

Jul 17, 2010
13th district
Not sure but think if the ref is satisfied the ball would have entered the net then it's a goal. No different to the Liverpool beach ball incident which the ref didn't give but the concensus was that he should have done.

The ref did give the goal in regard to the beach ball fiasco.

That physio should be given a Knighthood and the fans should have had a whip-round to get the guy a brass(if they haven't already).

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
The ref did give the goal in regard to the beach ball fiasco.

That physio should be given a Knighthood and the fans should have had a whip-round to get the guy a brass(if they haven't already).

Conceded. Age related memory failing. In that case, goal shouldn't stand. (I think!).

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
The ball looks as though it was going wide, so a corner should be awarded. The physio would get a red card and touchline ban.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

You cannot give a goal if the ball hasn't entered the net.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Under Law 3 - The Number of Players - Team Officials:

If a team official enters the field of play:

- the referee must stop play (although not immediately if the team official does not interfere with play or if the advantage can be applied)

- the referee must have him removed from the field of play and if his behaviour is irresponsible, the referee must expel him from the field of play and its immediate surroundings

- if the referee stops the match, he must restart play with a dropped ball in the position where the ball was at the time when the match was stopped, unless play was stopped inside the goal area, in which case the referee drops the ball on the goal area line (6 yard box) parallel to the goal line at the point nearest to where the ball was located when play was stopped

Conclusion

Based on the above, the only thing that can be done by the referee is to restart play with a drop ball and expel the physio from the game. He should not award a goal as play was stopped without the ball entering the goal.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
the only thing that can be done by the referee is to restart play with a drop ball and expel the physio from the game. He should not award a goal as play was stopped without the ball entering the goal.

That's what I would have said, though I'd have reasoned it with foreign objection the ball, I.e. the incident with beach ball should have been a drop ball, so I'd have been a little wrong there, but would have taken the right action.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Drop ball. It happened to me once, playing at Happy Valley or somewhere near Woodingdean. I got my head to a cross just as the keeper tried to punch clear. The ball looped towards the empty net and a spectator behind the goal walked on and stopped it. Our team went mental and a bit of a ruck broke out with the spectator and some of his mates while I tried unsuccessfully to persuade the ref to give the goal as the ball was obviously on its way in.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here