Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

How many do we really need for promotion?

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
I personally think we had the squad to go up last season, but that's history now. So we have lost Vicente, Dicker and Painter, none of whom really contributed anything of note last season. Upson and Bridge however were key first team players and leave two voids that need filling. I believe Crofts, Dunk and JFC will be like three new signings, for whatever reasons none of them really added anything last season and I think they all have quality to offer. Lopez has stated his desire to return, but if OG doesn't fancy him that's fair enough by me.

So Dunk can fill the void left by Upson(although I would like to see Upson return, experience cannot be underestimated)
Crofts and JFC feel like having two more in Midfield (youth and experience).

So for me, we need a left back and I would like to see another striker come in.

I think we can look forward to a real tilt at promotion. All that said, we will probably go out and sign half a dozen players now. But i'm not worried at all about the lack of players coming in, as I already think the squad is pretty solid.

Conkers

Jan 11, 2006
Haywards Heath
For all the talk about Lopez, for me, the key moment this season will be whether we sign Upson or not.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
I'd like to see a left back and a spare keeper. We have 4 strikers so perhaps we can do without another.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
I think we need more.

We are 7 down on last year, but we can probably treat Maximenko, JFC and March as adequate compensation for losing Dicker and Painter.

That means 5 in for me.

Spanish Dave
A left back
A centre back - I think we need 4.
Another midfielder.
A striker.

Interestingly we waited until the end of the transfer window for 4 signings last year.

Last edited:

Ulloa's Soul Patch

The Cyclone!
Mar 5, 2013
Just above the chin.
Matthew Upson - Stoke City - Free
Nicky Shorey - Reading - Free
Cristian Lobato - Barcelona B - Free
Ivan Balliu - Barcelona B - Free
Gonzalo Garcia Garcia - Macabi Tel Aviv
Carlos Garcia Badias - Macabi Tel Aviv
Nacho Cases - Sportin Gijon

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
The squad that we had 2nd half of last season would have been good enough to finish 2nd over the course of a whole season. So for me we need to replace Bridge and re-sign or replace Upson and Dave.

We have 4 good strikers and another would be a waste of wages. Likewise, the 2 keepers we have are the best you're going to get who are happy to only start 2-3 games a season. Paying the wages of someone better would be a waste of money as back up to TK.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
Matthew Upson - Stoke City - Free
Nicky Shorey - Reading - Free
Cristian Lobato - Barcelona B - Free
Ivan Balliu - Barcelona B - Free
Gonzalo Garcia Garcia - Macabi Tel Aviv
Carlos Garcia Badias - Macabi Tel Aviv
Nacho Cases - Sportin Gijon

I would feel an uncontrollable swelling in my pants if we scooped that lot!

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
I don't see how another striker would be a waste of wages, it's that hardest job in the world, sticking the ball in the back of the net and what do we really have???

Ulloa - Yes looks very good and looking forward to his first full season.
Hoskins- Is he training again??? and even if he is, his record over the last two season does not exactly inspire confidence.
CMS - Jury is out as to weather he is really up to this level( I believe he is) but he won't be upto speed until maybe the end of Sept.
Barnes- Don't think Ashley will enjoy the love affair with OG he had with Poyet. Hit and miss at best and a loose cannon to boot.

So yes, we do need another striker, with injuries and suspensions and for the sake of competition for places. Strikers win matches, the most important position on the pitch.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Prior to the arrival of Ulloa we didn't have a goalscorer. If he gets injured we're in trouble. I agree that we need 5:

1. A vocal CB that can push up.
2. LB
3. CM - Defensive
4. CM - Creative
5. Striker.

For me Shorey, Badias, Ake, Benayoun and Yakubu fit the bill.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
No we need 2 good ones.

Only 1 keeper can play at any time. Injuries notwithstanding, they always play 90 mins and they don't get injured very often. Having 2 good keepers is a waste of wages that could be spent on better outfield players - the 2nd keeper will normally warm the bench for 95% of the season.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here