Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What happens when you are "sectioned"

Neecha

Jul 10, 2012
London
Recently heard that a chap that lives near us who has been a total nightmare in the area for everyone has been "sectioned"
What does this mean and what happens to the individual concerned?

Tubby Mondays

Dec 8, 2005
A Crack House
Means that he has been detained under the mental health act in asecure hospital, usually for a period of 3 months, because he is a danger to himself and/or others.

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Sectioned under the Mental Health Act. In short it means he has been admitted to a mental health unit type place where he will be detained for a period of time and given treatment before being re-assed.

The need for sectioning tends to come when the person does not want to go but it is believed to be in their best interests, i.e. they may be a danger to themselves or others.

A very simplified explanation of something which is almost always a very delicate and complicated issue.

Tubby Mondays

Dec 8, 2005
A Crack House
Oh and as for what happens to them; they are assessed and treated with medication and therapy etc and then reassessed when its near discharge time to see if they can be released with whatever support they may need, or if they need to be detained further.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Means that he has been detained under the mental health act in asecure hospital, usually for a period of 3 months, because he is a danger to himself and/or others.

Is correct. My girlfriend works in this field, so if you have specific questions, feel free to PM me. No doubt there are NSC members who themselves work in the field too...

Frank Bruno is an example of a high profile individual who was sectioned.

JamesAndTheGiantHead

Sep 2, 2011
Worthing
image.jpg

hybrid_x

Banned
Jun 28, 2011
it means they will drug him up, sedate him, and turn him into a vegetable.........most people working at these places have more issues than those they house / abuse / look after (choose one depending on view point).

Worthingite

Sexy Pete... :D
Sep 16, 2011
Worthing
it means they will drug him up, sedate him, and turn him into a vegetable.........most people working at these places have more issues than those they house / abuse / look after (choose one depending on view point).

I wish you'd stop posting on here, you vile, pathetic creature. What a disgusting thing to say.

We are fortunate to have a mental health team in this area that are both competent and compassionate. I'd suggest you stop posting on things you know incredibly little about.

Last edited:

Neecha

Jul 10, 2012
London
Oh and as for what happens to them; they are assessed and treated with medication and therapy etc and then reassessed when its near discharge time to see if they can be released with whatever support they may need, or if they need to be detained further.

Thanks for your clear description. I appreciate every case is different but how long are patients normally detained for 3 months was posted earlier but is this likely? I might add he was def a danger to the public and himself!

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
The whole internet to seek this information but he chooses the wise people at NSC. It makes you kind of proud.

Neecha

Jul 10, 2012
London
The whole internet to seek this information but he chooses the wise people at NSC. It makes you kind of proud.

Don't knock the wealth of info on here DD! Internet is good but more factual generic info rather than actual life experiences that many clearly have on the issue.

northstandchatapedia I call it!

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
I wish you'd stop posting on here, you vile, pathetic creature. What a disgusting thing to say.

We are fortunate to have a mental health team in this area that are both competent and compassionate. I'd suggest you stop posting on things you know incredibly little about.

Over my life, ive personally known two people who were sectioned, and both seemed a lot worse when they came out than when they went in...some of the drugs are mighty powerful....so, I kind of understand what the guys saying...maybe unlucky in who I know, but seriously, both came out almost comatose...not sure I would blame the teams involved, maybe it was better for them both, but didnt seem that way.

Last edited:

Tubby Mondays

Dec 8, 2005
A Crack House
Thanks for your clear description. I appreciate every case is different but how long are patients normally detained for 3 months was posted earlier but is this likely? I might add he was def a danger to the public and himself!

Would be an initial 3 months and then depending what his issues are / progress made he may be reviewed monthly to assess for a discharge date or 3 monthly. Its likely he wouldnt be discharged straight back into the community especially if he was detained for more than the initial 3 months. He would be placed into a less secure facility to prepare him for full discharge.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Don't knock the wealth of info on here DD! Internet is good but more factual generic info rather than actual life experiences that many clearly have on the issue.

northstandchatapedia I call it!

Agree with this. NSC, collectively, represents a huge bank of experience and knowledge.

Neecha

Jul 10, 2012
London
Would be an initial 3 months and then depending what his issues are / progress made he may be reviewed monthly to assess for a discharge date or 3 monthly. Its likely he wouldnt be discharged straight back into the community especially if he was detained for more than the initial 3 months. He would be placed into a less secure facility to prepare him for full discharge.

so in short he is not moving back to his house soon, Im guessing he must have been removed for the house within the last 2-3 days It seemed as though it was best he was looked after by doctors not police

D

Deleted member 22389

Recently heard that a chap that lives near us who has been a total nightmare in the area for everyone has been "sectioned"
What does this mean and what happens to the individual concerned?

My father was sectioned under the mental health act. Not nice at the time but me and my mum where completely exhausted dealing with him. He had bi-polar disorder and passed away in 2004.
Basically he was not allowed to leave the hospital, if he did the police could bring him back.

hybrid_x

Banned
Jun 28, 2011

i know two people that lost years to this system, and are still healing now - they were just in the wrong place with the wrong people at the wrong time and got slipped into this strange system.

i also happen to know two people who work in this sysem addictd to prozac and deeply soulless and down about everything.

your insults because someone has a different subjective opinion to you (based on us all having a different experience in life) tells me you have some mental issues too. your disgusting insults will be reported to the mods.

KingstonSeagull

May 1, 2013
Shoreditch

Boy, that escalated quickly. I mean that really got out of hand fast!

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here