Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Lewis Dunk possible midfield option?

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
I notice Lewis Dunk had a spell in midfield against Whitehawk and, with Oscar said to favour two defensive minded players in a midfield three, could this be an option? Or, if he only needs Bridcutt to shield the back four, Dunk could be an acceptable back up for when Liam is suspended or injured without being a drain on resources.

He is good on the ball, composed, athletic, strong and quick. It would also be a more fogiving position for his occasional lapses in concentration.

As I said on the David Lopez thread, I felt at times last season Poyet had too many higher profile players kicking their heels on the bench or out of the match day squad, no doubt on decent(ish) wages. If the club wants to compete it would be useful to have a few more versatile players to free up cash for elsewhere. Perhaps Dunk could be one of them.

With El Abd re-signing, Greer first choice and the club likely to be looking for an Upson type to come in, Dunk is going to be fourth choice centre back. Adapting his game could provide him with more minutes for his development and a good alternative for Oscar.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Just preparing for Bridders departure more like I reckon and he needs someone to fill that spot quickly.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Dunk has all the attributes to be a progressive Central Defender or Defensive Central Midfielder. All he lacks is consistency.

Dec 29, 2011
I notice Lewis Dunk had a spell in midfield against Whitehawk and, with Oscar said to favour two defensive minded players in a midfield three, could this be an option? Or, if he only needs Bridcutt to shield the back four, Dunk could be an acceptable back up for when Liam is suspended or injured without being a drain on resources.

He is good on the ball, composed, athletic, strong and quick. It would also be a more fogiving position for his occasional lapses in concentration.

As I said on the David Lopez thread, I felt at times last season Poyet had too many higher profile players kicking their heels on the bench or out of the match day squad, no doubt on decent(ish) wages. If the club wants to compete it would be useful to have a few more versatile players to free up cash for elsewhere. Perhaps Dunk could be one of them.

With El Abd re-signing, Greer first choice and the club likely to be looking for an Upson type to come in, Dunk is going to be fourth choice centre back. Adapting his game could provide him with more minutes for his development and a good alternative for Oscar.

Agree with that, apart from the bit about him being quick. Probably one of the slowest players in the squad.

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Agree with that, apart from the bit about him being quick. Probably one of the slowest players in the squad.

Not lightning by any means certainly but never considered him slow. He reads the game well so I guess it is hard to tell sometimes. Proper pace is certainly one thing lacking in all our centre backs though.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Sorry I have got to disagree with you as Dunk is a hoof it type player and has very little skill on the ball hence the problems that he causes in the defense and could never play in midfield only as a stopper to give the ball to a footballer to play it forward for him.

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Sorry I have got to disagree with you as Dunk is a hoof it type player and has very little skill on the ball hence the problems that he causes in the defense and could never play in midfield only as a stopper to give the ball to a footballer to play it forward for him.

Could not disagree more.

But even if he WAS the sort of player you describe (which he isn't by the way), Poyet managed to turn El Abd into a composed, passing defender. Presumably a similar result would not be beyond Oscar as far as Dunk is concerned.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Which comes with experience.

And not spending the season thinking you're going to prison at the end of it.

Sorry BG, but that is nonsense. The only player that Poyet brought through from the youth team to a regular first team player is not a hoof ball player.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
I think that he is behind El Abd in every aspect of his game

And? He's 7 years younger than him. He's twice the player El Abd was at his age.

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
I think that he is behind El Abd in every aspect of his game

If you compare Lewis Dunk with Adam El Abd at the same age I think Dunk has far, far more potential to work with and is a better player than El Abd was at that stage of his career. MUCH better.

I am also pretty sure that if Dunk was the long ball, limited stopper you claim he is, he would not have been the only youth prospect to figure regularly under Poyet.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Sorry football is about opinions and IMHO Dunk is not a worthy contender for a first team place and will only be so in a lowly Championship or Div 1 side not a team aspiring to gain promotion to the Prem. He is 21 years old and should be pushing hard for a place ahead of El Abd and Greer and I cant see that happening at the moment.

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Sorry football is about opinions and IMHO Dunk is not a worthy contender for a first team place and will only be so in a lowly Championship or Div 1 side not a team aspiring to gain promotion to the Prem. He is 21 years old and should be pushing hard for a place ahead of El Abd and Greer and I cant see that happening at the moment.

Football is indeed about opinions. Only most are based in some sort of basic understanding of the game...

To dismiss Dunk as a hoofball clogger is completely inaccurate. By all means question his consistency or doubt he will end up playing a high level, but don't base that on random and inaccurate assessments of his playing style or ability at his age.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing

We shall see...

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010
Sorry I have got to disagree with you asDunk is a hoof it type player and has very little skill on the ball hence the problems that he causes in the defense and could never play in midfield only as a stopper to give the ball to a footballer to play it forward for him.

You are totally wrong, he has played some delightful passes, just needs more first team time now that he can concentrate fully on football with the court case behind him.

shaolinpunk

[Insert witty title here]
Nov 28, 2005
Brighton
His biggest flaw is the sudden lack of concentration/composure every so often that costs him dearly

He's probably the strongest defender we have in the air and with the ball at his feet looking to pick out a pass

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here