Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

human rights

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
as far as i'm concerned you lose all human rights once you take someone else's life .....end of.

What about crimes of passion?
What about an accident, but one that cannot be proved as an accident?

Why are people so determined to look at life constantly in black and white, it's NEVER that simple.

SeagullEd

Jan 18, 2008
What about an accident, but one that cannot be proved as an accident?

Why are people so determined to look at life constantly in black and white, it's NEVER that simple.

Exactly!

What a mind-numbing thread. You think that no-one has ever thought of that as a possibility? No, of course they have, but they've rightly rejected it.

IF that did stand what's to stop some of the world numerous dictators framing someone for murder (many people are wrongly convicted as it is) and then having an excuse to do anything?

This would be so easily misused it'd be ridiculous.

Open your mind, cretin.

You need to go to the "Another Reason To Leave Europe" thread. Turn left as you leave this post and go up a bit. It's all gone silly on that one and much more fun.

(Edit) turn right, this has just bounced to the top. Best check beforehand.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
Stephan Kiszko released after 17 years innocent
Birmingham 6
Ect Ect

the courts and Juries do get it wrong sometimes

Manx Shearwater

Jun 28, 2011
Brighton
Erm, wrongful convictions are irrelevant here aren't they?

The argument is with people convicted of murder without review. In other words you cannot be considered for parole. If a wrongful conviction came to light that would be over-ridden, and isn't relevant to this argument.

martyn20

Unwell but still smiling
Aug 4, 2012
Burgess Hill
We are a civilised society, that means we give human rights to even those who have done the worst crimes, I think we should be able to lock people up for life, so they die of old age in prison but while they are there we should feed them 3 times a day, provide clothes and exercise for them.

martyn20

Unwell but still smiling
Aug 4, 2012
Burgess Hill
Erm, wrongful convictions are irrelevant here aren't they?

The argument is with people convicted of murder without review. In other words you cannot be considered for parole. If a wrongful conviction came to light that would be over-ridden, and isn't relevant to this argument.

This thread is about human rights, the length of sentence does not really count as a human right does it

Manx Shearwater

Jun 28, 2011
Brighton
Its in relation to a decision - read the link in the first post - about whether sentences of 'life without review' are in breach of human rights.

Wrongful convictions is irrelevant. The issue in the article relates to whether depriving lifers of the opportunity to review their sentence in light of possible parole is a human rights issue.

Stoo82

GEEZUS!
Jul 8, 2008
Hove
The problem with the Human Rights Act is that it assumes that human had no rights before its creation. We were fine without the bloody thing. We have had rights in England for near 1000 years.

martyn20

Unwell but still smiling
Aug 4, 2012
Burgess Hill
Its in relation to a decision - read the link in the first post - about whether sentences of 'life without review' are in breach of human rights.

Wrongful convictions is irrelevant. The issue in the article relates to whether depriving lifers of the opportunity to review their sentence in light of possible parole is a human rights issue.

If you read the OP he is saying someone loses all their human rights the moment they kill someone, if you assume he means after conviction that would mean they would have no right to appeal so wrongful conviction is very important

Manx Shearwater

Jun 28, 2011
Brighton
If you read the OP he is saying someone loses all their human rights the moment they kill someone, if you assume he means after conviction that would mean they would have no right to appeal so wrongful conviction is very important

But in the example in the link they DO have the right to appeal. Bamber himself has appealed twice and had a third appeal rejected. The issue they are arguing to the Court of Human Rights is the denial of the right to a parole review.

burnee54

East Upper Hermit
Sep 1, 2011
up the downs
Some years ago I lost my sister to "A Domestic Violence Incident". The perpertrator is now free, in a new relationship and has a new family. He still has contact with my nephews as they were taken in by his brothers. THIS MAN SHOULD HAVE DIED. He stabbed my sister 28 times in the chest with a screwdriver in front of two of their four sons.
My sister got no mercy and no justice.
Murderers are like animals they should call a Vet in and have them put down.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
To the OP - The Armed Forces might be in trouble then.

Seriously though I'm as liberal as they come but even I think the Home Secutary should have the right to give life sentances without parole in exceptional circumstances for the most heinous of crimes.

Dandyman

In London village.
The problem with the Human Rights Act is that it assumes that human had no rights before its creation. We were fine without the bloody thing. We have had rights in England for near 1000 years.

The majority of the British population did not even have the vote in 1913 so I am unclear where the 1000 year other Eden comes from.

chimneys

Jun 11, 2007
Some years ago I lost my sister to "A Domestic Violence Incident". The perpertrator is now free, in a new relationship and has a new family. He still has contact with my nephews as they were taken in by his brothers. THIS MAN SHOULD HAVE DIED. He stabbed my sister 28 times in the chest with a screwdriver in front of two of their four sons.
My sister got no mercy and no justice.
Murderers are like animals they should call a Vet in and have them put down.

Unelievable horror Burnee. RIP your sis and hope her kids have managed some sort of life since.

What about them? Because he was married to her, makes it less of a crime? Surely not?

burnee54

East Upper Hermit
Sep 1, 2011
up the downs
Unelievable horror Burnee. RIP your sis and hope her kids have managed some sort of life since.

What about them? Because he was married to her, makes it less of a crime? Surely not?

Thanks Chimneys.
Unfortunately the boys have not had a happy time of it. One of them was the burned body at the Dyke golf course a couple of years ago.
As a family we have all drifted apart and I have little or no contact with any of my brothers or sisters, cousins, aunts and uncles etc.
Still, I now have a bigger "family" of Albion supporters.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here