Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Wolves (H) official attendance as ratified by Football League.. below 30,003!

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
During a recent thread ( http://www.northstandchat.com/showt...e-attendance-statistics-to-cheer-everybody-up) it was noted that two clubs achieved 30,000+ gates in the Championship for last season (but not us!) according to the Football League. When I queried this statistic with them in regards of our game v Wolves (30,003) I was told by email that wasn't the case. I followed up and the reply is below.

Email from Football League:

Very basically, the figures we receive are the official figures submitted to the League from the club’s gate statements. The official attendance figure for Brighton’s game in question was 29,793. The 30,003 figure is the unofficial figure that the Press Association gets from club on the day. There are usually some differences between the two, but the figure we have (from the club’s gate statements) is official.

The League take its data and stats feed from PA Sport which is why that figure is on our website.

I hope that helps to clarify the matter.

Thank you for contacting The Football League.

Regards,

Andrew Pomfret
Customer Services Officer
The Football League Limited

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Disaster. So what happens when someone next asks "have you been in an Albion crowd of 30k+"?

Canonman

Apr 14, 2011
The crowd figures are always wrong. When the stadium announcer says there are 28,000 or whatever in there I look around at all the empty seats and take at least a 1,000 off of that total.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Is this really that much of a surprise, we all knew there were less than 30,000 in attendance but TBH I prefer to know the really attendance

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
30,000 plus? I've done 11 I reckon, could be 12.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Hmmm. There's often a bit of the old Kim Jong-Un about the attendance figures announced at the Amex. I remember thinking at the time that the 30,003 did seem a mite contrived. If they'd have said 30,000 exactly then nobody would've believed it, so they just add a handful to the figure so everyone can go away saying we're getting crowds of 30k+.....when we're not (quite).

Honestly Mister B, I can live with a figure of 29k+. I want the truth - I can handle the truth.

Left Back

Jan 22, 2011
Hmmm. There's often a bit of the old Kim Jong-Un about the attendance figures announced at the Amex. I remember thinking at the time that the 30,003 did seem a mite contrived. If they'd have said 30,000 exactly then nobody would've believed it, so they just add a handful to the figure so everyone can go away saying we're getting crowds of 30k+.....when we're not (quite).

Honestly Mister B, I can live with a figure of 29k+. I want the truth - I can handle the truth.

When Mount Everest was first surveyed it came out as exactly 29,000 feet, but the surveyors didn't think people would believe that it was exactly 29,000 feet so they added two feet to its elevation, making it 29,002 feet.

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
I am waiting on a Freedom of Information Request reply from Sussex Police detailing ACTUAL attendances rather than ticket sold numbers.

Just thought it might be interesting.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I am waiting on a Freedom of Information Request reply from Sussex Police detailing ACTUAL attendances rather than ticket sold numbers.

Just thought it might be interesting.

Good man - I was going to do the same but hadn't got round to it.

I look forward to the link to your blog.

The Sock of Poskett

The best is yet to come (spoiler alert)
Jun 12, 2009
Been watching since 72 so would be in that dozen bracket also. Poor old youngsters, still waiting....

Whisper it quietly, but being in a crowd of 29,000 and something is not really much different to being in a crowd of 30,000+. There's just something statistically pleasing about it, I suppose.

That said, the 33,000+ stuffed in v Blackpool in 78 felt like a darn sight more ... :lolol:

supaseagull

Feb 19, 2004
The United Kingdom of Mile Oak
F** that - I'm off to get a season ticket for Palace...they never LIE about how many people at at their matches...

At the last match, they counted all the fans using their GROUPON ticket stubs and never had to rely on complicated machines to count people in...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here