Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Family affair as El-Abd gets back in action [The Argus]

Newshound

Brighton 8049
Jun 5, 2011
[h=3]Family affair as El-Abd gets back in action[/h]9:00am Saturday 6th July 2013 in Sport By Brian Owen
2527008.jpg
Adam El-Abd (pic by Paul Hazlewood)
Adam El-Abd has been congratulated on his new two-year deal – by a man who will look to give Albion a tough time today.
The Seagulls defender has ended doubts over his immediate future by signing a contract which includes the promise of a testimonial.
He trained with the squad yesterday and appears today in the friendly against a Whitehawk side featuring his brother Sami.
“The family are delighted he is staying,” said Sami who himself agreed a new contract at Hawks this summer.
“This is the first time we’ve ever played against each other and it’s good he’s still here.
“It would have been a shame if he had left just before he was due for his testimonial.”
Sami reckons his brother’s team can be given a good test in their first run out under head coach Oscar Garcia.
He added: “We have got a few good players at Whitehawk. I don’t think it will be as one-sided as people expect.”
Adam had talks with Barnsley and was thought to be interesting other Championship sides.
He was keen to stay with his home-town club but wanted more security than that provided by than the one-year deal offered in May.
The Egyptian international said: “I've been keeping myself fit in the gym, and although it's not the same as doing pre-season, I feel really good and I'll definitely be fit for the start of the season.
“The last ten years have been amazing, and I feel really honoured to have been granted a testimonial year by the club.”
The future of David, who was also offered another year, remains uncertain.
Albion have been linked with another creative Spanish midfielder, Ignacio Cases of Sporting Gijon.
Cases, 25, last night declined to comment on a potential deal but sources in Spain believe he could head to Albion for a knockdown price as Sporting trim their squad and wage bill.

p-89EKCgBk8MZdE.gif

Original article

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here