Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Count Arthur Strong

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Raconteur, after dinner speaker and twice runner up in 1968/69.....

Comedy legend. The funniest radio ahow by a mile.

Manx Shearwater

Jun 28, 2011
Brighton
He's been appearing at Komedia for donkey's years (The Radio 4 shows are recorded there, seen quite a few of those too), first saw him in the early naughties doing his presentation about Egypt. Mind-numbingly funny!

Seen pretty much all his live shows since. Can't wait for tonight's TV debut.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Very much looking forward to this. I've seen the live shows and he has been hilarious every time.

piersa

Apr 17, 2011
London
Never heard of him, will give it a go.

Manx Shearwater

Jun 28, 2011
Brighton
He's a bit like comedy marmite.

I took a load of friends to one of his shows at Komedia many moons ago and while me and the missus (and most of the audience) roared with laughter, they sat blank faced for the whole show and didn't understand what everyone was laughing at! Apparently he's had similar responses to his Radio 4 show.

Looking forward to watching. The radio programmes are all about words. It may be difficult to translate the format into TV comedy, where watching the action becomes a requirement. Perhaps a 'red button' option of Sound Only could be offered?

Codner pharmaceuticals

Jun 17, 2009
Border Country
I really don't get this at all. It ruins my drive home when it comes on the radio.
The whole premise seems to be saying words incorrectly.

This I find most unassuming (get it?).

Up there with Simon Day comedies for the last funny awards. ..

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Malapropisms are a huge part of his act but he's that classic British comedy mainstay - the little man with a grossly inflated opinion of himself, a bore, a bully, incompetent, forever misunderstanding situations and perennial loser. Captain Manwaring, David Brent, Partridge, Hancock, Basil Fawlty, Blackadder, Victor Meldrew, Harold Steptoe, Rigsby even right back to Diary of a Nobody's Charles Pooter from the 1800s...it's a formula that seems to work.

I hadn't appreciated that he might be a bit marmite. I think he's hilarious but I guess it's a subjective thing. I worry that if it doesn't work onscreen that people might think he's rubbish because he does seem suited to radio where your own imagination fills in the blanks.

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
Just got back from a few days in Spain and all sorts of things happening including this little potential gem. Love the live act and radio show. Fingers firmly crossed for the tv version.

Carrot Cruncher

NHS Slave
Helpful Moderator
Jul 30, 2003
Southampton, United Kingdom
The trailers made me think I'd somehow gone back to the 70's, so was instantly put off, but if Graham Linehan's involved and @Buzzer gives it the nod, then I'll happily give it a go.

Carrot Cruncher

NHS Slave
Helpful Moderator
Jul 30, 2003
Southampton, United Kingdom
Gave it 15 minutes and personally I think it's shite.

Whatever made it funny on the radio/as stand up doesn't work on the tellybox.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Sort-of laughed a few times but eventually got bored and turned over to Modern Family on Sky One. Couldn't quite shake off the feeling that Arthur is the sort of character that came out of Harry Enfield's reject pile.

Manx Shearwater

Jun 28, 2011
Brighton
I quite liked it. It certainly had it's moments, and its a bit daft and I like that sort of thing.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here