Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

A Thread For The Nationality Debate (away from the tennis!)

Preferred Nationality?...

• ONLY British

Votes: 9 8.0%
  • British first, then English

Votes: 28 24.8%
  • English first, then British

Votes: 60 53.1%
  • ONLY English

Votes: 16 14.2%

• Total voters

stripeyshark

All-Time Best Defence
Dec 20, 2011
What nationality do you see yourself as?

See poll and discuss, NSCers!

I personally am English first, but love being British.

mattpenfold

Sep 17, 2011
Er, why only English or British ? Do you think the rest of the UK does not count ?

For example, I consider myself British, English and Welsh.

stripeyshark

All-Time Best Defence
Dec 20, 2011
Er, why only English or British ? Do you think the rest of the UK does not count ?

For example, I consider myself British, English and Welsh.

I'm interested in the views of English people for this poll. Helps narrow down the options.

I obviously think the rest of Britain counts as I'm British. :thumbsup:

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
English when I return to Brighton on holiday and a Brit when I'm living in New York - although most Americans think I'm an Australian. Confusing really.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
English first

dont think you can go too far wrong in life with the heart of an Englishman and the values of a Brit,

and i am half jock

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
Polls a bit limited. I'm half Spanish.

hybrid_x

Banned
Jun 28, 2011
nationalism is a big dogmatic trap from the 20th century.....that creates seperation and prejudice.......grow up children. (6 pages).

Why not an "all of the above" option and a "not sure". I tend to put English on forms but IIRC most of them only give that as a tick box option.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I am English when any of our teams or individuals play other British teams or individuals but British when we are represented by a British team or individual against anyone else.

Beating Wales at rugby is a big deal to me, not too bothered in football as England are nearly always streets ahead of the others.

Wardy

NSC's Benefits Guru
Oct 9, 2003
In front of the PC
Well if someone asks me I tend to say I am English. However when it comes to sport I am English when it is a sport that the home nations are represented in as themselves (football, rugby etc), but British when they are combined. Happy to be British

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
English first and British second. I love being English - despite what all the self-loathers would have you believe we're f*cking awesome.

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
I've said it elsewhere, but nationality debates produce the biggest load of hogwash - I'm half this, a quarter that...... a) Does it really matter? b) Legally, nationality is determined by birth so you're kind of stuck with it.

For the record, I was born in Derby, so I'm Derbyish, English, British, European, whatever label you want to attach. I support all of those teams and whoever Andy Murray is playing.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
I'm Brightonish. I feel sorry for those that aren't. :smile:

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
nationalism is a big dogmatic trap from the 20th century.....that creates seperation and prejudice.......grow up children. (6 pages).

Piece of advice. If you want to take the moral high ground here then you're going to have to do better than regurgitate trite cliches and then insult your intended audience by referring to them as children.

Ironic that you rail against separation and prejudice yet you've done precisely that in this thread with your sense of self-importance and obvious contempt for different views.

You could also do with a history lesson if you think nationalism is a 20th century phenomenon. Big fail all round really and it's not even 8 o'clock on a Monday.

stripeyshark

All-Time Best Defence
Dec 20, 2011
I've said it elsewhere, but nationality debates produce the biggest load of hogwash - I'm half this, a quarter that...... a) Does it really matter? b) Legally, nationality is determined by birth so you're kind of stuck with it.

For the record, I was born in Derby, so I'm Derbyish, English, British, European, whatever label you want to attach. I support all of those teams and whoever Andy Murray is playing.

This! People always cling to their 1/8 Swedish or whatever. It's like they're afraid to be English and British.

Bulldog

Sep 25, 2010
English first.

I have done some work on my family history back to the mid 1600s, and can't say I have found any non English ancestors, but I would be well chuffed to find
some Welsh/Scott/Irish/Jewish/Huguenot/Norman.... ancestors as they are all part of the rich make up of English history.

But whatever I find, I will still be 100% English and fecking proud of it.

Last edited:

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
before we lived in Wales it would have been British first
now English first then British

you might ask yourself the question (or this one) to the Scots, Irish and the Welsh from my experience it would be Scottish,Irish and Welsh and some would even not consider themselves British

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here