Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Was today one of the greatest ever single sporting events shown on BBC1?

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Yes, yes it was.

joeinbrighton

Nov 20, 2012
Brighton
I'd say so. We should count ourselves lucky that ITV don't have the rights to Wimbledon, otherwise at the exact moment that Djokovic hit the ball in the net to give Murray the Championship, coverage would have been lost to show an advert for mints!

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
The greatest since Brighton v Man U, May 1983......

No seriously certainly up there with some of last years Olympic moments and up there with 1966 for me..

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
Only thing against it was it wasn't that close in the end though.

Great viewing though.

MissGull

Apr 1, 2013
Gold Saturday during the Olympics was pretty special and definitely up there.

joeinbrighton

Nov 20, 2012
Brighton

Great viewing though.

In terms of Wimbledon finals that have been won in straight sets, it is by far and away the best though, with ever set closely contested and Djokovic never entirely out of it at any stage.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
1. Any BHA game on TV (sorry, but its family, and it counts, every time).
2. 1995 Playoff final Bolton Vs Reading (the most intense and exciting game not involving BHA, ever)
3. Solskjaer - yes! (I hate ManU, as does my son, but we both stood and said the same thing at the same time -emotional dad/son thing, and an amazing victory against the hun).

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
In terms of Wimbledon finals that have been won in straight sets, it is by far and away the best though, with ever set closely contested and Djokovic never entirely out of it at any stage.

True. I am no Tennis fan and I watched it.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Virginia Wade winning the Ladies Singles Final in 1977 in Silver Jubilee year was a big deal too.

Virginia Wade winning the Ladies Singles Final in 1977 in Silver Jubilee year was a big deal too.

Shame if this was forgotten. I wonder if, in the Murray household, when they have future sibling disagreements, Jamie will play the "....yes but I won a Wimbledon title before you did" card?

red star portslade

Jul 8, 2012
Hove innit

Great viewing though.

This^^^^^^^

Don't get me wrong, i think Murray's performance was outstanding and the standard of tennis was top drawer, but he won 3 - 0. There was no drama! At no point did i think he was going to lose.

Djokovic v Del Potro, now that was what great sport is all about.

downham seagull

Dec 6, 2012
Norfolk
By far this was the single best sporting achievement in my lifetime by a sportsman from theses shores. With Tennis there is nowhere to hide, you are exposed for your brilliance and failings, there are no second chances. Add into the mix the nations expectations falling on one person for so long. Nothing will ever beat this achievement in my opinion.

joeinbrighton

Nov 20, 2012
Brighton
The 2012 Gentlemen's singles final was better.

In terms of actual spectacles, the 2008 men's singles final between Federer and Nadal is the best final I've ever seen, possibly followed by the ones either side of it, Federer-Nadal in '07 and Federer-Roddick in '09. I was only 2 at the time, but I'd imagine McEnroe-Borg in 1980 would be up there as well and the Becker-Edberg finals between 1988 and 1990 were all good too, as was the Ivanisevic-Rafter final in 2001 that was played on a Monday. But most of those went the distance, which give them epic status. The match today was decided in straight sets, yet took longer than some finals that have been played over 4 sets. Of any men's final that only lasted 3 sets, it is surely the best by some considerable distance.

downham seagull

Dec 6, 2012
Norfolk
This^^^^^^^

Don't get me wrong, i think Murray's performance was outstanding and the standard of tennis was top drawer, but he won 3 - 0. There was no drama! At no point did i thing he was going to lose.

Djokovic v Del Potro, now that was what great sport is all about.

No Drama? I can't believe you think this, Murray was 2 sets up in th US open and Djokovic came back to take it to 5 sets this could of gone the same way all so tight.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here