Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Favourite Stucture

Gregory2Smith1

J'les aurai!
Sep 21, 2011
Auch
there are some fine examples around the world,whether you go for brilliant engineering or just pleasing on the eye

my favourite is the Hoover Dam

bearing in mind this was built in the 30's

there's enough concrete to make a two way lane from San Francisco to New York City

amazing stats

700ft high
1200ft long
crest is 45ft thick
base a staggering 660ft thick!

if the concrete had been poured in one go it'll taken over 100 years to cure,so this was done in individual blocks that had to be cooled down

In 1995 samples were taken from the inner core revealing that the concrete was still gaining strength
having used a non reactive aggregate,it wasn't subject to ASR (alkali-silica reaction)

sadly many lives were lost on this project,but still an incredible achievement

Hoover-Dam-concrete.jpg

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
In Sussex ?

The De La Warr Pavilion, outstanding building

So far globally The Golden Gate Bridge - stunning and the best thing I have ever done was to cycle over it

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003

Seagull on the wing

Sep 22, 2010
Hailsham
there are some fine examples around the world,whether you go for brilliant engineering or just pleasing on the eye

there's enough concrete to make a two way lane from San Francisco to New York City

amazing stats

700ft high
1200ft long
crest is 45ft thick

if the concrete had been poured in one go it'll taken over 100 years to cure,so this was done in individual blocks that had to be cooled down

In 1995 samples were taken from the inner core revealing that the concrete was still gaining strength
having used a non reactive aggregate,it wasn't subject to ASR (alkali-silica reaction)

View attachment 44537
Drove over it from Vegas to Grand Canyon....amazing sight to see....your facts are right....it still not 'cured' even now.....understand since my visit they have put a flyover across the Dam....

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
E

amazing stats

700ft high
1200ft long
crest is 45ft thick

View attachment 44537

Amazing to think they re-routed the river while it was being built as well.

shingle

Jan 18, 2004
Lewes
The Gherkin in London or L'Hemispheric in Valencia

Both Architecture of the sexiest kind

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
The Millau Viaduct in Southern France. A British architect, Norman Foster, showing the French how to do it

millau.jpg

The Taj Mahal

Taj%2BMahal%2B-%2BVery%2BRare%2BPhoto%2BCollection%2B%252810%2529.jpg

The most beautiful building. Whatever the time of day, or whichever angle a photo is taken from, the building looks magical - it doesn't seem real, like a painting.

Having been lucky enough to see it in person, I have never been so awe inspired by a man made structure - and probably never will be.

Seen early in the morning before many others showed up. Tremendous dust storm behind produced incredible orange hues.
When you see it up close, it is the symmetry that makes it the most amazing building. In fact, looking at the patterns of gutters it must be quite something in heavy rain, like a giant fountain.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here