Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What could possibly happen for Murray NOT to win the SPOTY 2013?

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
I don't regard the show as the be all and end all by any means - but it just seems the biggest shoe-in I can remember in my lifetime.

All the possibles - Froome winning the TDF, a Brit winning the Open golf or the PGA, even a fantastic individual or captain's performance in the Ashes - just wouldn't challenge top spot.

If the same player hit six sixes in an over and took 10 wickets in an innings in the Ashes, would that do it?

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Nothing. Not sure if 1/33 is a better interest rate than any other form of investment currently available, but if it is you might as well stick your life savings on it before they close the betting, probably tomorrow, cos there's no competition that even comes close. Chris Froome each way @ 16/1 may well have paid out more, but it's a win-only contest, at least on bet365 it is.

joeinbrighton

Nov 20, 2012
Brighton
Nothing. He's a shoo-in.

The only debate is over who finishes 2nd. Chris Froome winning the Tour De France, Jimmy Anderson taking 30 wickets in the Ashes, Kevin Pietersen/Alistair Cook scoring 500+ runs in a winning cause and Mo Farah and Jessica Ennis winning gold in the World Athletics Championships would all make them livewire contenders for 2nd place, but a Wimbledon singles victory for a British player is something many doubted would happen in our lifetimes, whereas some of the other names mentioned have had their defining years at other times.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
He would have to fiddle with at least three under 10's. Even then I would still make him favourite.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Even if it came to light he's even closer to his mother than we imagined, he'd still get my vote.

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
Nothing. Not sure if 1/33 is a better interest rate than any other form of investment currently available, but if it is you might as well stick your life savings on it before they close the betting, probably tomorrow, cos there's no competition that even comes close. Chris Froome each way @ 16/1 may well have paid out more, but it's a win-only contest, at least on bet365 it is.

You'll be lucky to get on e/w with Murray so short, maybe Froome for the f/c.

D

Deleted member 18477

No one will challenge Murray this year for SPOTY.

Froomes achievement if he does it was done last year...

What would have been interesting would have been... murray winning wimbledon last year...

Le Tour (+ Olympic Gold) vs Wimbledon (+ US Open and Olympic Gold and Silver).

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
A Wayne Rooney brace against Norwich, should do it.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
No problem if you didn't know. He was actually in the school in another classroom when it happened.

I genuinely did not.

Of course I would not have posted that if I had done. Apologies again.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here