Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Tennis scoring

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
No, but another question I have is, why call it 30-30; why not go straight to deuce? It's effectively the same thing.

half time scores

Mar 19, 2012
Lounging-on-the-chintz
The origins of the 15, 30, and 40 scores are believed to be medieval French. It is possible that a clock face was used on court, with a quarter move of the hand to indicate a score of 15, 30, and 45. When the hand moved to 60, the game was over. However, in order to ensure that the game could not be won by a one-point difference in players' scores, the idea of "deuce" was introduced. To make the score stay within the "60" ticks on the clock face, the 45 was changed to 40. Therefore, if both players have 40, the first player to score receives ten and that moves the clock to 50. If the player scores a second time before the opponent is able to score, they are awarded another ten and the clock moves to 60. The 60 signifies the end of the game. However, if a player fails to score twice in a row, then the clock would move back to 40 to establish another "deuce".

Another theory is that the scoring nomenclature came from the French game jeu de paume (a precursor to tennis which initially used the hand instead of a racket). Jeu de paume was very popular before the French revolution, with more than 1,000 courts in Paris alone. The traditional court was 90 ft in total with 45 ft on each side. When the server scored, he moved forward 15 ft. If he scored again, he would move another 15 ft. If he scored a third time, he could only move 10 ft closer.

My mother told me never to marry a tennis player because love means nothing to them.

Mr Smggles

May 11, 2009
Winchester
Google it.

I loathe comments like these. Do you not think other people are interested? I have no idea what the answer is but have never thought about it enough to google it. It creates discussion, the whole point of this board. You've just broken my "ignore list" virginity. Congrats, tosser.

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
The answer is, nobody knows. Clock face sounds plausible until you get to 40. Real Tennis, the original tennis until some King shouted at his offspring who were making a racket in the House, to.............. take it outside onto the lawn.
Then again if the French are involved it's sure to be nonsense, wrapped in never quite getting it right.

Sweeney Todd

Apr 24, 2008
Oxford/Lancing
Whoever invented the scoring system for tennis must have been drunk at the time, not least because it is possible to win more points and games than your opponent, but lose the match.

the wanderbus

Dec 7, 2004
pogle's wood

This.
And whats all that 'Love' rubbish about? Love - 30 wtf?

Because 0 resembles an egg. in french an egg is un oeuf, so the zero or l'oeuf has been anglicised to love..... The ONE AND ONLY thing I know about Tennis.

bollocks , must learn to type quicker!

Last edited:

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
Because 0 resembles an egg. in french an egg is un oeuf, so the zero or l'oeuf has been anglicised to love..... The ONE AND ONLY thing I know about Tennis.

bollocks , must learn to type quicker!

It isn't fact though, only conjecture. Probably put about by the French to try and fool people into thinking they invented Tennis.

Footsoldier

Banned
May 26, 2013
I loathe comments like these. Do you not think other people are interested? I have no idea what the answer is but have never thought about it enough to google it. It creates discussion, the whole point of this board. You've just broken my "ignore list" virginity. Congrats, tosser.

Tosser? Lovely. When people choice a holiday don't you think they do research into their destination like 'GOOGLING IT' or people like yourself and Lenny Rider are so uneducated that don't know how to use the search engine.

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
Tosser? Lovely. When people choice a holiday don't you think they do research into their destination like 'GOOGLING IT' or people like yourself and Lenny Rider are so uneducated that don't know how to use the search engine.

Ooo. I wouldn't stand for that Lenny. :ffsparr:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here