Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Barbecues - What's The Point

El Sid

May 10, 2012
West Sussex
I've just been informed by the wife that she is expecting a barbecue this afternoon.

Just taken a look at the rusting hulk sitting in the garden and can't get any enthusiasm for scraping off all the rust and mold just to cook meats that will turn out black on the outside, pink in the middle and taste of soot.

Whats wrong with perfectly grilled meats from the simple to use electric kitchen appliance?

Do I get cleaning, buy a new barbecue of feign injury?

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I'm with you. By all means EAT it in the garden, with a cold beer, but cook it nicely on the grill.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
What are you two whining about ? Barbecues are for real Men, It's fire and meat.

My Barbecue is my second favourite toy after my Chainsaw.

*edit* No wonder other clubs take the piss. I'm going to start a poll BBQ and Chainsaw vs Manbag and Hair straighteners

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Why anyone would want to cook food when it's hot beats me. Humans can exist on cold food, it's even healthier.

Wardy

NSC's Benefits Guru
Oct 9, 2003
In front of the PC
What are you two whining about ? Barbecues are for real Men, It's fire and meat.

Agree, it is a chance for you to show you are the provider, the Alpha Male. It is kind of cheating but the gas powered ones they do these days mean you still get that barbecue taste but it is easier to control the heat so less chance of burning stuff.

bhawoddy

Jan 25, 2011
Agree, it is a chance for you to show you are the provider, the Alpha Male. It is kind of cheating but the gas powered ones they do these days mean you still get that barbecue taste but it is easier to control the heat so less chance of burning stuff.

Opening vents on the BBQ can regulate heat as required......:albion2:

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
i sympathise with you, however have an urge to make fire and cook slabs of hunted meat (at supermarket). it makes sence for groups i think, but in place of the family dinner it does seem more hassle than its worth. key thing is to clean the BBQ after use, not leave it two months.

Why anyone would want to cook food when it's hot beats me. Humans can exist on cold food, it's even healthier.

cooked food allows us to gain far more nutrients from foods, more easily. it allows us to eat foods we'd struggle to digest at all. its arguably one of the reasons we have larger brains, because we use less energy digesting and so can have a surplus to fuel the brain instead.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
It is kind of cheating but the gas powered ones they do these days mean you still get that barbecue taste but it is easier to control the heat so less chance of burning stuff.

Kind of cheating !!!!! KIND OF CHEATING !!!! You may as well use moisturiser (sp ?) and shave with an electric razor you big wuss

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley
Do some really clean their barbecues ???

All you have to do is give the grills a knock to get rid of any lumps - brush with oil and get the barbie really hot - you end up with a perfectly carbonised non-stick grill :)

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
I've just been informed by the wife that she is expecting a barbecue this afternoon.

Just taken a look at the rusting hulk sitting in the garden and can't get any enthusiasm for scraping off all the rust and mold just to cook meats that will turn out black on the outside, pink in the middle and taste of soot.

Whats wrong with perfectly grilled meats from the simple to use electric kitchen appliance?

Do I get cleaning, buy a new barbecue of feign injury?

No, you learn how to cook properly. BBQing is the ONLY way to cook a steak, you can't beat it.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I had steak earlier in the week, and because the BBQ was out from the previous day I decided to BBQ the steaks (also had a few people over so there were too many to fit in the grill or in the gridle pan). They were gorgeous. One of the best home cooked steaks I've ever had.

Today I am bbqing a whole chicken. Indirect grilling method, tea and paprika rub, did something similar last year, was delicious.

BBQs are more about social cooking, I think. You don't generally get parties where everyone stands in the kitchen watching you cook, whereas BBQs involve everyone hang around together.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here