Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

BBC apologise for John Inverdale's 'Bartoli not a looker’ comment!

ExmouthExile

Feb 11, 2005
errm, have you tried looking in the mirror lately John? pot kettle black?

Following Bartoli’s straight sets victory over the German Sabine Lisicki, John Inverdale asked BBC Radio 5 Live listeners: “Do you think Bartoli’s dad told her when she was little 'You’re never going to be a looker? You’ll never be a Sharapova, so you have to be scrappy and fight.’”

Bartoli, whose passionate determination – exemplified by her repeated fist pumping – gained her the admiration of Centre Court, won her first Grand Slam title 6-1, 6-4.

At one stage during the second set Bartoli’s unrelenting focus and powerful hitting reduced her 23-year-old opponent to tears.

Once a stunned Lisicki, the 15th seed, rose to her feet, Bartoli celebrated becoming the first Frenchwoman in seven years to win at SW19 by climbing up to the players’ box to embrace family and friends.

But in the commentating box Inverdale appeared determined not to join in the general admiration of the new champion.

He later tried to make amends by saying: “We poked fun, in a nice way, about how she looks ... but Marion Bartoli is an incredible role model.”

After being asked about Inverdale’s comments a BBC spokesman said last night: “We accept that this remark was insensitive and for that we apologise.”

Inverdale’s words prompted an outpouring of criticism of social networking sights, such as Twitter.

Sarah Mann, a tennis fan from Sheffield, said: “Shame on you Inverdale”, adding in a tweet to BBC radio presenter Shelagh Fogarty: “You will cry if you hear what your colleague Inverdale has just said about Bartoli.”

Several people posted links to the BBC website’s complaints page and encouraged others to make their feelings about Inverdale’s comments known.

Kenny Morgan, from Wales, said: “Bartoli is a fine athlete that just excelled in her sport,” while Lucy Hay, a script editor from London, said: “John Inverdale is never going to be a looker, or a thinker, or as good at anything at Bartoli.”

Many of the Tweets included the hashtag Everyday Sexism, which has gathered a large following with examples of causal sexism in the workplace and public life.

Inverdale ran into trouble in 2006 during the BBC Sports Personality of the Year Awards coverage on Radio FiveLive, when he appeared to make a disparaging remark about the Duchess of Cornwall.

During the programme Inverdale asked others in the studio if they could remember the name of the horse Princess Anne rode when she won the European Championship in 1971.

After they failed to come up with an answer Inverdale said: “Camilla?”

Several people complained to the BBC in 2009 about what they described as Inverdale’s “sexist and patronising view” of women’s tennis during the Wimbledon championships.

One listener said: “John Inverdale is a disgrace, with his sexist patronising view of the Women’s game. Why is he presenting the flagship show of the BBC at Wimbledon, when he clearly understands little about tennis, and constantly tries to deride and belittle the women’s game?”

Another listener said: “I have complained to the BBC on numerous occasions about his blatant sexism regarding the women's game, but to no avail.”

Told of Inverdale’s remarks, the new Wimbledon champion’s father, Dr Walter Bartoli, said:” I am not angry. She is my beautiful daughter.

“The relationship between Marion and me has always been unbelievable so I don’t know what this reporter is talking about.

“When she was five years old she was playing like every kid and having fun on the tennis court.”

He said he would be celebrating with champagne last night with the French tennis ace along with members of her support team to mark a “wonderful event”.

Paris

Jul 17, 2010
13th district
The BBC have shown their lack of professionalism this week. They should get rid of that joke of a post-match interviewer Robertson as well as Andrew Castle. Inverdale needs to buck his ideas up but he's usually a fairly polished presenter.

D

Deleted member 18477

Inverdale is a boring prat. Its about time he went anyway!

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
The BBC have shown their lack of professionalism this week. They should get rid of that joke of a post-match interviewer Robertson as well as Andrew Castle. Inverdale needs to buck his ideas up but he's usually a fairly polished presenter.
Castle is a prize tool.

Paris

Jul 17, 2010
13th district
Castle is a prize tool.

Spot on. He was co-commentating with Becker and Henman the other day. Continuous verbal diarrhea. You couldn't see Tim and Boris' faces but i'm sure they were repeatedly looking at their watches. Sharing a confined space with Castle for a few hours. You could maybe say it is character building.

piersa

Apr 17, 2011
London
Total minger. Get over it.

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
errm, have you tried looking in the mirror lately John? pot kettle black?

So are people you deem to be ugly not allowed to voice opinions on the looks of others? Do you practice what you preach and not judge others on their mental short comings?

ExmouthExile

Feb 11, 2005
So are people you deem to be ugly not allowed to voice opinions on the looks of others? Do you practice what you preach and not judge others on their mental short comings?

Well I just have! But then i'm not representing the BBC on national tv in front of millions of viewers!

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
The thing is The WTA and the likes of the BBC, can't have it both ways..
You can't make millions promoting and advertising the sport heavily based on the look of Sharapova Kournikova et al.
Only to then be up in arms when someone points at an uggo.

Lets face it Kournikova didn't know which end of a bat to hold, but she'll still have made more money from The WTA, than Bartoli will ever do.

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London
I reckon twitter will see him lose his job.

Nah. Good ol' Aunty will always look after her own. You can get away with being a nonce, so a bit of casual sexism is like water off a ducks back.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
I bet if they did some research on how well a women's tennis match rated it would conclude ratings are higher when good looking women are involved in the match.

Women's tennis is rather average.

banjo

GOSBTS
Oct 25, 2011
Deep south
image.jpg

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports