Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Question about managers with no experience of English football

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Racking my brains to think of a manager that has been a success in English football when coming from a background that has no experience of the English game (either playing or managing)

Can only seem to come up with numerous failures .

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
how about any foreign manager who has been at Chelsea apart from the present one who is there for the second time

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Good call , admittedly I been thinking lower league so could be few examples in the greedy league

Seagull by the Sea

May 22, 2013
Racking my brains to think of a manager that has been a success in English football when coming from a background that has no experience of the English game (either playing or managing)

Martin Jol - should never have been sacked at Spurs

Rafa Benitez
Jose Mourinho
Alex Ferguson - he is not English!!
Pocche... - the guy at Southampton, did very well last season

The point is that not that many foreign managers get appointed in the lower leagues!

- and if they did, they were not of a similar pedigree to Oscar, ie played for Barcelona, coached at Barcelona and won a league title somewhere else in his FIRST season!!

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
The point is that not that many foreign managers get appointed in the lower leagues!

- and if they did, they were not of a similar pedigree to Oscar, ie played for Barcelona, coached at Barcelona and won a league title somewhere else in his FIRST season!!

Don't get me wrong , this isn't a veiled dig or anything , genuine question. Came up with half a dozen failures so thought put question out there

Our situation different anyway as OG doesnt need to change much like say Solbekken at Wolves

ozzygull

Oct 6, 2003
Reading

Roberto manchini

Baron Pepperpot

Jul 26, 2012
Brighton
Gudjon Thordarson at Stoke City, Ossie at Swindon Town (Very like Gus actually until he had to sell so many players to balance the books....)

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here