Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Stocking a cooking lager in a pub

Cooking Lager of choice

• Total voters

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
Landlord is considering an offer from a pub co to carry a discounted line which could retail at a lower price. Problem is I don't like any of them so can give no useful input. The choice (such as it is) is Fosters, Carling or Carlsberg. So for those who like that kind of shit what's best?

Poll to follow, if I can work out how to post one

Coldeanseagull

Opinionated
Mar 13, 2013
Coldean
I don't drink lager very often, but anything but Fosters! It's too gassy. I only have that with my pie because they stopped the Kronenborg or whatever it was in the WU

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London
I've sold them all and Fosters is by far the most popular. I sell 8 times more Fosters than any other lager - I sell it at 2.40 a pint and it flies. Keep it under 3 quid and its a winner!

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
When I'm confronted with a choice of those, I always to for Carlsberg

When confronted with a choice of those, I'd go elsewhere. In fact I'd go to The Southover and have a "MEANTIME FRIESIAN PILSENER 5.2% Light golden in colour, Meantime Friesian Pilsener expresses the character of classical German hops, herbal and citric in aroma, clean and bitter on the palate." Or Craft Beer Co for one of their lovely lagers.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Bottled Carlsberg Export is almost drinkable.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
of those, Carlsburg is the better option. Forsters seems to popular for a reason though.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I've sold them all and Fosters is by far the most popular. I sell 8 times more Fosters than any other lager - I sell it at 2.40 a pint and it flies. Keep it under 3 quid and its a winner!

This is an aspect of life which really disappoints me. I'd rather pay more for a decent pint. And if my finances were stretched I'd plump for one decent pint over two crap pints.

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
I had a sample taste of a blackcurrant Strongbow yesterday in a Tescos. That was quite nice. Unhelpful to this poll, but nice on a warm day.
I vote None of the above. Lager seems yesteryear to me now i'm bang in the middle of my mid-late-30s.

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
Lager is a boys drink, they all taste virtually the same and differ only in gas, the taste of synthetic chemicals ,cretinous advertising and stupid shaped glasses.

Real men drink beer!

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London
I had a sample taste of a blackcurrant Strongbow yesterday in a Tescos. That was quite nice. Unhelpful to this poll, but nice on a warm day.
I vote None of the above. Lager seems yesteryear to me now i'm bang in the middle of my mid-late-30s.

It's all about Rekorderlig - Sublime.

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London
This is an aspect of life which really disappoints me. I'd rather pay more for a decent pint. And if my finances were stretched I'd plump for one decent pint over two crap pints.

I take your point. But quite simply, your average pub goer doesn't have the money they used to. Obviously this depends on location etc. But it's generally true. You have to fight to get people through the doors these days, cheaper prices are a winner. Sure, you margins may suffer a little, but that's made up in volume of sales. This is my experience anyway, and it works for me. Three years of YOY growth since I dropped the prices is the proof in the pudding.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I take your point. But quite simply, your average pub goer doesn't have the money they used to. Obviously this depends on location etc. But it's generally true. You have to fight to get people through the doors these days, cheaper prices are a winner. Sure, you margins may suffer a little, but that's made up in volume of sales. This is my experience anyway, and it works for me. Three years of YOY growth since I dropped the prices is the proof in the pudding.

I'm not disputing this happens, I'm just disappointed it does. Personally Id rather have less but better quality of anything.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
My local sells Carling, and if I'm a bit strapped for cash it's fine.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here