Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Horrific scenes in Brazil

7:18

Brighton & Hove Albion
Aug 6, 2006
Brighton, England
that is horrific, you are right in that it sounds so unbelievable!

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
The barely believable incident happened in Maranhao, Brazil, last Sunday.
According to reports in Brazil, referee Otavio Jordao da Silva (20) fatally stabbed footballer Josenir dos Santos Abreu (30) during a heated moment of a match.
Santos Abreu is believed to have argued and then struck the referee after being unhappy with a decision.
It is believed the referee was carrying a knife throughout the match and fatally stabbed the player in retaliation.
Santos Abreu was rushed to hospital but died from injuries on the way.

Outraged by the incident, some spectators then apparently decided to inflict a gruesome revenge on the referee.
According to reports, the referee was tied up, beaten, stoned and quartered. They then put his head on a stake and planted it in the middle of the pitch.
One man, Luiz Moraes de Souza, 27, has been arrested over the incident. He has admitted to assaulting the referee but denied killing the man. Police are searching for two more suspects.

They are currently viewing video footage of the incident filmed by a witness with a mobile phone.
In a statement, the regional delegate of Santa Ines, Valter Costa, who is looking after the case, said: "One crime never justifies another crime. Actions likes this do not collaborate with the legality of state law."

Wowzers !

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
if proven FIFA will still go ahead with the world cup there

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
I doubt FIFA even with their many inadequacies will use refs that carry knives and kill players. I'm not saying I agree with the aftermath but it wasn't unprovoked

No, it wasn't unprovoked. I'd suggest that killing a player was probably going too far, and that a red card would have been more suitable punishment.

But still, what followed, how could anyone get involved in something like that?

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
As disgusting as that is I must confess to laughing at the first comment.

"There's only one thing you can to with evil murder's like this...........Give them asylum in the UK with a house and benefits."

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Another thread having a go at a refereeing decision.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
a 20yo ref ???

sounds like thugs that happen to be playing football, dont think we need to call on FIFA to abandon the WC.

Southern Scouse

Jul 21, 2011
Having listened to the original version in Portuguese it is slightly different. One player attacked another and grabbed him around the neck literally trying to twist it off. The ref, who was described as a little guy blew his whistle to stop play. The offending player then attacked the ref kicking him to the ground. The ref then ran away to his house nearby and got a knife, returned to the pitch and stabbed the player in revenge. Then the rest of the village who had been watching got hold of the guy and the rest is as reported.
Obviously does not excuse anything that went on but is not the same as reported, ie, carrying a knife during the game.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
And we thought Ron Challis was bad...

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
I seem to remember a long time ago some guy in Argentina riding on to the pitch on a horse and shooting the ref dead

HAILSHAM SEAGULL

Nov 9, 2009
Just waiting for Gus to appear on Eurosport backing the players involved and blaming it on the cultural differences between South America and the rest of the world.:wink:

Robot Chicken

Seriously?
Jul 5, 2003
Chicken World
I've seen the video of the dead referee and it's rather graphic.

It's on LiveLeak but I won't be posting the link here.

melias shoes

Oct 14, 2010
The barely believable incident happened in Maranhao, Brazil, last Sunday.
According to reports in Brazil, referee Otavio Jordao da Silva (20) fatally stabbed footballer Josenir dos Santos Abreu (30) during a heated moment of a match.
Santos Abreu is believed to have argued and then struck the referee after being unhappy with a decision.
It is believed the referee was carrying a knife throughout the match and fatally stabbed the player in retaliation.
Santos Abreu was rushed to hospital but died from injuries on the way.

Outraged by the incident, some spectators then apparently decided to inflict a gruesome revenge on the referee.
According to reports, the referee was tied up, beaten, stoned and quartered. They then put his head on a stake and planted it in the middle of the pitch.
One man, Luiz Moraes de Souza, 27, has been arrested over the incident. He has admitted to assaulting the referee but denied killing the man. Police are searching for two more suspects.

They are currently viewing video footage of the incident filmed by a witness with a mobile phone.
In a statement, the regional delegate of Santa Ines, Valter Costa, who is looking after the case, said: "One crime never justifies another crime. Actions likes this do not collaborate with the legality of state law."

Wowzers !
:eek::ohmy:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here