Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Kenya Safari Advice

reigate

Nov 10, 2005
Looking to go to Kenya for 2 weeks in October, to include approx 4 days safari as well as a beach resort.

Anyone got any good tips? How much cheaper is it to book the safari whilst im there and is this advisable?

Brian Parsons

May 16, 2013
Bicester, Oxfordshire.
You'll love it I was there many years ago, the people are very friendly and scenery is mind blowing. take your anti malaria pills and sleep under a mosquito net, if like me you find them slightly claustrophobic go to bed reeking of alcohol, Mossies can't abide the smell of beer! My only concern is the date you are going, Africa only has two seasons hot and cool, during the transition off seasons the wildlife goes to ground. I was there in November and on safari I saw one Elephant and two giraffes!

ferring seagull

Dec 30, 2010
Looking to go to Kenya for 2 weeks in October, to include approx 4 days safari as well as a beach resort.

Anyone got any good tips? How much cheaper is it to book the safari whilst im there and is this advisable?

In our experience, we got a better deal signing up for it here but check it out.

reigate

Nov 10, 2005
You'll love it I was there many years ago, the people are very friendly and scenery is mind blowing. take your anti malaria pills and sleep under a mosquito net, if like me you find them slightly claustrophobic go to bed reeking of alcohol, Mossies can't abide the smell of beer! My only concern is the date you are going, Africa only has two seasons hot and cool, during the transition off seasons the wildlife goes to ground. I was there in November and on safari I saw one Elephant and two giraffes!

Thanks - October seems to be just about ok, but November looks dodgy

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
I will be living in Nairobi as from Aug so PM me and we can hook up for a Tusker beer and chat about the Albion :)

reigate

Nov 10, 2005
In our experience, we got a better deal signing up for it here but check it out.

Who did you use? Some of the packages seem outrageous. Gametrackersafaris.com look reasonable. Most advice seems to suggest it is much cheaper booking out there, but you run the risk of not getting what you want and waste holiday time sorting it

n1 gull

Jul 25, 2003
Hurstpierpoint
We went last year, stunning holiday. It does depend on your budget to be honest. We chucked a ton of money at it as it was a holiday of a lifetime, but it was worth every penny. We avoided large tours etc and stayed on a private ex colonial ranch. Unfortunately we didn't make it to the sea, which I regret. We spoke to fellow travellers who stayed just outside Mombasa in little hotels ( not all inclusive ) and they loved it

SeagullSongs

And it's all gone quiet..
Oct 10, 2011
Southampton
My advice is to spend a couple more days on safari.
We flew into Mombassa, and went to Tsavo East, Tsavo West, Kilimanjaro-Kimana and the Masai Mara, 6 days in total and we still didn't see leopards or cheetahs. The second week was relaxing at the hotel, I think we got the balance pretty much spot on.

Also, take a few really cheap football shirts (preferably England, Man United, etc) and use them for haggling, they'll be worth more than you paid for them.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
Went with the navy years ago,probably the best country I have ever been to. I think Malindi Beach is the best beach area, just outside Mombasa, I hope you have a wonderful holiday

reigate

Nov 10, 2005
My advice is to spend a couple more days on safari.
We flew into Mombassa, and went to Tsavo East, Tsavo West, Kilimanjaro-Kimana and the Masai Mara, 6 days in total and we still didn't see leopards or cheetahs. The second week was relaxing at the hotel, I think we got the balance pretty much spot on.

Also, take a few really cheap football shirts (preferably England, Man United, etc) and use them for haggling, they'll be worth more than you paid for them.

Plan was to spend week chilling on Mombssa. It possible to do a safari that takes in Masia Mara, then moves west to Tsavo West, removing the need to get a flight from Nairobi to Mombassa

Bald Gull

Jul 5, 2003
London
Who did you use? Some of the packages seem outrageous. Gametrackersafaris.com look reasonable. Most advice seems to suggest it is much cheaper booking out there, but you run the risk of not getting what you want and waste holiday time sorting it

Try African Big Five (africanbigfivesafaris.com). They are based in Uganda but do great safaris across east Africa. They are also great value. Have done a few safaris and they are by far the best operator I've used.

swindonseagull

Aug 6, 2003
Swindon, but used to be Manila
I will be living in Nairobi as from Aug so PM me and we can hook up for a Tusker beer and chat about the Albion :)

stay safe there....I used to go there a few times a year when I was flying in the RAF...

Nairobi city centre is a shit hole and definitely not safe after dark for a white man.....

enjoyed Tusker in Florida 2000 though and cheap exotic flowers to bring home for the wife from the market... ( and soap stone chess sets)

reigate

Nov 10, 2005
We went last year, stunning holiday. It does depend on your budget to be honest. We chucked a ton of money at it as it was a holiday of a lifetime, but it was worth every penny.

Was hoping to only spend about £3,000 for 2 of us. Is that unrealistic? I have seen reasonable flights for about £650 each and hotels for £50 a night

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
stay safe there....I used to go there a few times a year when I was flying in the RAF...

Nairobi city centre is a shit hole and definitely not safe after dark for a white man.....

enjoyed Tusker in Florida 2000 though and cheap exotic flowers to bring home for the wife from the market... ( and soap stone chess sets)

Cheers for the message. Needless to say I am going to be living in one of the posh suburbs!! :)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here