Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

El-Abd Signs New Deal

S'hampton Seagull

Oct 12, 2003
Southampton
Two years eh? I think the initial offer was only one. Good move for all concerned

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
PUBLISHED

18:18 5th July 2013

by Tim Dudding

Long-serving defender Adam El-Abd has signed a new two-year contract with Albion, keeping him at the club until the end of the 2014/15 season.

The deal will see the 28-year-old central defender rack up a decade of service at the club, earning him the right to a testimonial year.

El-Abd hooked up with the rest of the squad this morning for his first day of pre-season training, and is likely to feature in Saturday’s curtain-raiser at Whitehawk.

He told seagulls.co.uk, “I'm absolutely delighted to have signed the new deal. I love playing for the club, and I can't wait for the season to start now.

“I've been keeping myself fit in the gym, and although it's not the same as doing pre-season, I feel really good and I'll definitely be fit for the start of the season.

“The last ten years have been amazing, and I feel really honoured to have been granted a testimonial year by the club.”

Head of football operations David Burke added, “It is fantastic news that Adam is staying with us and he will reach the milestone of ten years at the club which is a fantastic achievement.

“Adam has played a major part in getting the club to where it is today, and we are delighted that he has chosen to commit to the club for longer.

“He is a product of the club’s successful youth system and is somebody all our younger players should aspire to.”

One of the club’s most consistent defenders over the last decade, Brighton-born El-Abd played a crucial part in the League One title success in 2011, and in May 2012 he was called up to the Egypt international squad.

He has made over 250 appearances for the club since he was handed his first team debut in 2003 by Mark McGhee.

Read more at http://www.seagulls.co.uk/news/article/el-abd-signs-new-deal-897953.aspx#uReUSosXMUYJ7pU2.99

Sweeney Todd

Apr 24, 2008
Oxford/Lancing
He was never going to leave the Albion.

hola gus

Aug 8, 2010
Whilst I strongly believe he is a squad player.... He is none the less a bloody good squad player. So yes I'm very happy he has stayed, but would like to see a "Upson" ahead of him in the team with AEA being cover.

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
Need to get David signed up as well now!

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
best news since the last game last season

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Great news. It's not all about flair.

s5.bha

Aug 3, 2003
Hope he also got a wage increase...........so he can buy a bigger kitchen !!!

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Great news. It's not all about flair.

Quite right, it isn't all about flair. If l was stuck in the middle of a crisis Adam is the man l'd want alongside me. Absolutely unflappable and bleeds blue and white blood.

I think he is far more than just a squad player, if Matt Upson doesn't sign l'd me more than happy to see him start alongside GG.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here