Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Can iphones be fixed?

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
Specifically my daughter dropped hers in the loo 3 months ago :facepalm:

It's worked ever since, with the odd problem of turning off for no reason but now it won't turn on at all.

Is there any hope at all? Anyone know of any decent repair shops I might get it to?

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
Can you power it on when it is plugged in to the wall?

Guessing its out of warranty? If not Apple would probably do a like for like replacement. The Apple store will be the best place to take it and they'll look at it for free however it won't be cheap to repair through them (might be cheaper picking a second hand one up off eBay).

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
Can you power it on when it is plugged in to the wall?

Guessing its out of warranty? If not Apple would probably do a like for like replacement. The Apple store will be the best place to take it and they'll look at it for free however it won't be cheap to repair through them (might be cheaper picking a second hand one up off eBay).

Not in warranty and it doesn't power up at all, only get as far as the Apple logo flashing (although bizarrely when put into a docking station it powers up ??) Have tried different power leads so know it's not that. No insurance so either a repair or buy another

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
Not in warranty and it doesn't power up at all, only get as far as the Apple logo flashing (although bizarrely when put into a docking station it powers up ??) Have tried different power leads so know it's not that. No insurance so either a repair or buy another

Sounds like it could be a fault with the battery. Which version is it? The older ones (3) were quite straight forward to replace the battery and they were cheap to buy off eBay (£5). Not changed the battery in a newer one (4 or 5) myself but doesn't appear to be too difficult.

Take a look at ifixit:

http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Installing+iPhone+4+Battery/3141/1

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
Sounds like it could be a fault with the battery. Which version is it? The older ones (3) were quite straight forward to replace the battery and they were cheap to buy off eBay (£5). Not changed the battery in a newer one (4 or 5) myself but doesn't appear to be too difficult.

Take a look at ifixit:

http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Installing+iPhone+4+Battery/3141/1

Thanks both ... will take a look at that and see what's what

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
Guessing its out of warranty? If not Apple would probably do a like for like replacement.

Sounds like it could be a fault with the battery.

Sorry Arthur but all of the above is just incorrect.

1: Apple will not replace water damaged hardware.
2: There is no evidence what-so-ever to suggest it's the battery. I'm not ruling it out but you haven't given enough information yet to pin it down to anything.

Have you put the phone into recovery mode and restored the phone? This is the first thing to do.
Remember, doing this WILL remove all of your data so if you can back your phone up, do it.
What model is the phone?

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
Sorry Arthur but all of the above is just incorrect.

Apology accepted.

1: Apple will not replace water damaged hardware.

What sort of divvy would tell them it had water damage? Every time I've been to the apple store I've explained the problem and they've replaced like for like without even inspecting the item.

2: There is no evidence what-so-ever to suggest it's the battery. I'm not ruling it out but you haven't given enough information yet to pin it down to anything.

I haven't said it was definitely the battery, I just said the fact it powers up when it is docked would suggest that it is power related.

soistes

Sep 12, 2012
Brighton
What sort of divvy would tell them it had water damage? Every time I've been to the apple store I've explained the problem and they've replaced like for like without even inspecting the item.

IPhones have sensors in them which permanently change colour on exposure to the slightest bit of water, thereby invalidating the guarantee.

The "divvy" would therefore have been found out fairly quickly.

There has been a lot of debate about how reasonable such a policy on the part of Apple is. For example, people have been caught out when using Iphones in the rain, and a drop of water enters through the headphone socket at the top. One of the sensors is located inside that socket (it's a white dot which turns a reddish colour when it gets wet -- you can see it by shining a light into the hole).

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
IPhones have sensors in them which permanently change colour on exposure to the slightest bit of water, thereby invalidating the guarantee.

There has been a lot of debate about how reasonable such a policy on the part of Apple is. For example, people have been caught out when using Iphones in the rain, and a drop of water enters through the headphone socket at the top. One of the sensors is located inside that socket (it's a white dot which turns a reddish colour when it gets wet -- you can see it by shining a light into the hole).

Yes I know, there is a red light that comes on after a little while in the top left or there certainly was on the old iPhone 3 as I had a spare one which I decided to test to see how water resistant it actually was. Took about a minute of being submerged before the water damage light came on though.

But that wasn't my point. I've had a new phone and ipod from Apple and they haven't even looked at the device just replaced it no questions asked.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford

Yes I know, there is a red light that comes on after a little while in the top left or there certainly was on the old iPhone 3 as I had a spare one which I decided to test to see how water resistant it actually was. Took about a minute of being submerged before the water damage light came on though.

But that wasn't my point. I've had a new phone and ipod from Apple and they haven't even looked at the device just replaced it no questions asked.

There is a red indicator at the bottom of the charging point ... I guess that spells water?

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
There is a red indicator at the bottom of the charging point ... I guess that spells water?

liquid-contact-indicator-iphone.jpg

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
Do you have to book an apointment at the Apple Store ?

or can i just turn up with my phone

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Specifically my daughter dropped hers in the loo 3 months ago :facepalm:

It's worked ever since, with the odd problem of turning off for no reason but now it won't turn on at all.

Is there any hope at all? Anyone know of any decent repair shops I might get it to?

I took an iPod to ipodrepairs.co.uk in Fishersgate the other day. They seem to be able to fix pretty much anything.

To be honest, the symptoms you describe sound like what has happened to two of my iPods; new logic board needed. I had to get a new screen at the same time and it was £90. They are pretty flexible with prices, and seem to give good discounts. The website says the logic board alone is £80. Really good service, too. They say while you wait but I dropped it down at the end of one day, picked it up the next morning.

Good luck, Rugrat.

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
Do you have to book an apointment at the Apple Store ?

or can i just turn up with my phone

Can only speak of Regents Street and Covent Garden but I've always managed to get an appointment on the day. That said last time I went I had a 3 hour wait. You can book them online though.

brightn'ove

cringe
Apr 12, 2011
London

I'm guessing when they replace it they had a quick look around it? Whenever i've gone in for a problem the first thing they do is have a look in the headphone and charger port to look for for the red paper.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
Thanks everyone. Think I'll give Apple a miss and try one of the 3 independent repair shops mentioned above. Daughter left on school trip this afternoon and insistent she took her now not working phone with her as "it might work later" ???

Anyway will make enquires when she's back in 10 days ... cheers!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here