Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: FIFA Rankings

FIFA Rankings

0 Not allowed!
    We are now at 15th which seems about right to me. But Brazil (9th) are an obvious outlier owing to a lack of competitive games. I see Colombia are third (after Spain and Germany), ahead of Argentina and Italy.

The thing is, these rankings seem pointless to me. What are they actually used for?
    Quote Originally Posted by Baldseagull View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Calderon is the type of guy that if your daughter married, you would worry that she was not good enough for him.

• North Stand Chat

advertising

NSC's Benefits Guru

0 Not allowed!
      Used by FIFA to track how well football is developing and also used to seed qualifying groups.
      All spelling errors are intentional and are there to show new and improved ways of spelling old words. Grammatical errors are due to too many English classes/teachers
      The voice of reason. hans kraay fan club's Avatar

0 Not allowed!
      Colombia in 3rd, and Scotland in 50th, both seem incongrously high.
      The above post is simply my opinion. I am not bullying you, should it differ from your own.

0 Not allowed!
      Behind Bosnia-Herzegovina and Greece? No, that's not about right.

I would have the top 10 down as something like this:

Spain
      Germany
      Brazil
      Argentina
      Uruguay
      Italy
      Holland
      Portugal
      England
      Belgium
      Members

0 Not allowed!
      FIFA world rankings are always going to have a significant margin for error because the teams within it are only playing each other in competitive matches as a collective every 4 years (give or take those teams playing in the Confederations Cup). Outside of that time, they are being determined by various qualifying results and how teams get on in friendlies, which is not always an accurate guide. Hence, because Brazil hadn't played a competitive match before they played in the Confederations Cup for about 18 months they had dropped down to 22nd, while Colombia are in a falsely high position because of improved results for them in a South American qualification process which is taking place without Brazil. I'd say England's current position sounds not far off being right as the top 16 is essentially 'who would make it to the knockout stages at the World Cup' and so I'd have England ranked somewhere between 9 and 16, meaning they'd be unfancied to make the quarter-finals. Being behind Greece, however, does seem wrong on anything Greece have done since 2004 and Bosnia have yet to qualify for a major tournament, albeit they are currently winning their qualification group.
      Banned

0 Not allowed!
      England are FAR worse than 15th. Have any of you seen us play!?
      Members

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Plooks View Post
      England are FAR worse than 15th. Have any of you seen us play!?

You quite often hear people say that and say 'England should be ranked 30th' etc. Interestingly, they never name the 29 teams that are better though. You are welcome to, though.
      Banned

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by joeinbrighton View Post
      You quite often hear people say that and say 'England should be ranked 30th' etc. Interestingly, they never name the 29 teams that are better though. You are welcome to, though.
      Argentina, Spain, Brazil, Portugal, Italy, France, Germany, Holland, Uruguay, Chile, Croatia, Mexico, Russia, Sweden, Poland, Ukraine, Colombia, Ivory Coast, Ghana, Japan....bored now.

0 Not allowed!
      Argentina, Spain, Brazil, Portugal, Italy, France, Germany, Holland, Uruguay, Chile, Croatia, Mexico, Russia, Sweden, Poland, Ukraine, Colombia, Ivory Coast, Ghana, Japan....bored now.
      Come on, only 9 more to go, you can do it. Montenegro might be another. 8 more.
      "I will design a town in the image of your face. Round the wrinkles of your eyes my footsteps you can trace. We could promenade down infra-nasel depression. The streets of your hands will never feel a recession."
      Members

0 Not allowed!

Interesting. I'd challenge a few of those though.

Sweden: Although England lost a friendly last year, they won their last competitive match against them. Sweden are currently 3rd in their qualifying group behind Austria.

Ghana: Have done very little of note since reaching the quarter-finals of the World Cup in 2010.

Ivory Coast: As much as they are many people's pick as best team in Africa, they have not demonstrated it when it matters in the African Cup of Nations, with the last 2 tournaments won by Nigeria and Zambia.

Poland: They are an improving team, but they last qualified for a tournament that they weren't hosting in, what, 2006? England haven't lost to them for decades.

Ukraine: England played poorly against them at Wembley and should have lost. However, England previously beat them in the European Championships in Ukraine with a lot more pressure riding on it. Improving, but nowhere near a top 20-25 team in the world yet.

Japan: Played some good football at the Confeds Cup, but still lost all 3 matches. Until they start winning in tournament situations then I don't think you can place them above England.

Mexico: England beat them the last time they played. Will get better once more of their Olympic gold medal players get integrated into the squad, but apart from Hernandez's finishing, they looked decidedly average at the Confeds Cup. They are currently 3rd in the CONCACAF qualifying behind Costa Rica.

Croatia: I'd say they are technically a better team than England. However, worth remembering that the last 2 times England played them, England scored a total of 9 goals to Croatia's 2. They also lost at home to Scotland last month, so clearly they're not infallible since Slaven Bilic let a lot of his players grow old together.

Portugal: Again, technically better I'd say. But for all that, when did Portugal last beat England in regulation time? At a guess, 1986. Their last 2 matches in tournaments were lost on penalties. Yes they have Ronaldo, but they've never utilised him properly and are currently in a 3 horse race to qualify, along with Russia and Israel.

Russia: On a par with England, but whereas England made the quarter-finals of the Euros last year, Russia lost their bottle and managed to fail to qualify from a far weaker group despite at times being the best team in that group. Have a tendency to choke badly when the going gets tough, although that is something that Fabio Capello may well improve.

France: Technically better, but certainly not mentally. See how France choked against Sweden that had lost its first 2 matches in the Euros when qualification was in their hands. If England played France 5 times, I'd take 3 matches to be draws.

Chile & Colombia: Hard to say given England have played neither competitively for years. Colombia have good players but the last time they were talked up, they choked at the 1994 World Cup.

Uruguay: Going forward, they are very good. Defensively, however, they are a shambles. Won the Copa America 2 years ago but their form has regressed since then and are currently struggling in a South American qualifying campaign that doesn't include Brazil. On the basis of the Copa America win, I'd put Uruguay ahead, but not by much.