Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

FIFA Rankings

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
We are now at 15th which seems about right to me. But Brazil (9th) are an obvious outlier owing to a lack of competitive games. I see Colombia are third (after Spain and Germany), ahead of Argentina and Italy.

The thing is, these rankings seem pointless to me. What are they actually used for?

Wardy

NSC's Benefits Guru
Oct 9, 2003
In front of the PC
Used by FIFA to track how well football is developing and also used to seed qualifying groups.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Colombia in 3rd, and Scotland in 50th, both seem incongrously high.

WhingForPresident

NSC Patreon
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough
Behind Bosnia-Herzegovina and Greece? No, that's not about right.

I would have the top 10 down as something like this:

Spain
Germany
Brazil
Argentina
Uruguay
Italy
Holland
Portugal
England
Belgium

joeinbrighton

Nov 20, 2012
Brighton
FIFA world rankings are always going to have a significant margin for error because the teams within it are only playing each other in competitive matches as a collective every 4 years (give or take those teams playing in the Confederations Cup). Outside of that time, they are being determined by various qualifying results and how teams get on in friendlies, which is not always an accurate guide. Hence, because Brazil hadn't played a competitive match before they played in the Confederations Cup for about 18 months they had dropped down to 22nd, while Colombia are in a falsely high position because of improved results for them in a South American qualification process which is taking place without Brazil. I'd say England's current position sounds not far off being right as the top 16 is essentially 'who would make it to the knockout stages at the World Cup' and so I'd have England ranked somewhere between 9 and 16, meaning they'd be unfancied to make the quarter-finals. Being behind Greece, however, does seem wrong on anything Greece have done since 2004 and Bosnia have yet to qualify for a major tournament, albeit they are currently winning their qualification group.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Argentina, Spain, Brazil, Portugal, Italy, France, Germany, Holland, Uruguay, Chile, Croatia, Mexico, Russia, Sweden, Poland, Ukraine, Colombia, Ivory Coast, Ghana, Japan....bored now.

Come on, only 9 more to go, you can do it. Montenegro might be another. 8 more.

joeinbrighton

Nov 20, 2012
Brighton
Argentina, Spain, Brazil, Portugal, Italy, France, Germany, Holland, Uruguay, Chile, Croatia, Mexico, Russia, Sweden, Poland, Ukraine, Colombia, Ivory Coast, Ghana, Japan....bored now.

Interesting. I'd challenge a few of those though.

Sweden: Although England lost a friendly last year, they won their last competitive match against them. Sweden are currently 3rd in their qualifying group behind Austria.

Ghana: Have done very little of note since reaching the quarter-finals of the World Cup in 2010.

Ivory Coast: As much as they are many people's pick as best team in Africa, they have not demonstrated it when it matters in the African Cup of Nations, with the last 2 tournaments won by Nigeria and Zambia.

Poland: They are an improving team, but they last qualified for a tournament that they weren't hosting in, what, 2006? England haven't lost to them for decades.

Ukraine: England played poorly against them at Wembley and should have lost. However, England previously beat them in the European Championships in Ukraine with a lot more pressure riding on it. Improving, but nowhere near a top 20-25 team in the world yet.

Japan: Played some good football at the Confeds Cup, but still lost all 3 matches. Until they start winning in tournament situations then I don't think you can place them above England.

Mexico: England beat them the last time they played. Will get better once more of their Olympic gold medal players get integrated into the squad, but apart from Hernandez's finishing, they looked decidedly average at the Confeds Cup. They are currently 3rd in the CONCACAF qualifying behind Costa Rica.

Croatia: I'd say they are technically a better team than England. However, worth remembering that the last 2 times England played them, England scored a total of 9 goals to Croatia's 2. They also lost at home to Scotland last month, so clearly they're not infallible since Slaven Bilic let a lot of his players grow old together.

Portugal: Again, technically better I'd say. But for all that, when did Portugal last beat England in regulation time? At a guess, 1986. Their last 2 matches in tournaments were lost on penalties. Yes they have Ronaldo, but they've never utilised him properly and are currently in a 3 horse race to qualify, along with Russia and Israel.

Russia: On a par with England, but whereas England made the quarter-finals of the Euros last year, Russia lost their bottle and managed to fail to qualify from a far weaker group despite at times being the best team in that group. Have a tendency to choke badly when the going gets tough, although that is something that Fabio Capello may well improve.

France: Technically better, but certainly not mentally. See how France choked against Sweden that had lost its first 2 matches in the Euros when qualification was in their hands. If England played France 5 times, I'd take 3 matches to be draws.

Chile & Colombia: Hard to say given England have played neither competitively for years. Colombia have good players but the last time they were talked up, they choked at the 1994 World Cup.

Uruguay: Going forward, they are very good. Defensively, however, they are a shambles. Won the Copa America 2 years ago but their form has regressed since then and are currently struggling in a South American qualifying campaign that doesn't include Brazil. On the basis of the Copa America win, I'd put Uruguay ahead, but not by much.

WhingForPresident

NSC Patreon
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough

The same Sweden, Ukraine and Croatia that England have beaten in competitive matches in the past few years? And the same Poland, Russia and Holland that got knocked out in the group stages of the Euros last year?
I know it's fashionable to say England are shit, but you clearly know bugger all about international football.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Interesting. I'd challenge a few of those though.
I'd say any European team behind us now is there on merit. They are, afterall, competing in the same tournaments as we are, generally speaking.

But how on earth are you challenging Uruguay? They were semi finalists in the last WC, they won Copa America 2 years ago and were unlucky not to make the final in the recent confeds cup. They also have THREE strikers better than any striker we have, IMO.

And Japan look better than us at the moment, I'd say that was almost beyond dispute. Dark horses for a semi final place in Brazil I should think. Quarter finals at least.

Of that lot, only the shout for Mexico and Poland look daft. Mexico are shit - they've won ONE game in 6 in the WC hex in CONCACAF and their coach is deeply unpopular. Poland are also decidedly ordinary.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Just to pick one. England: Have done very little of note since Euro 96.
Very true. We haven't gone beyond the quarter finals of ANY major tournament played outside England EVER. And we can't take penalties and often find ourselves COMPLETELY outplayed against the properly good teams even if not reflected in the score. The quarter final last year against Italy is case in point.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I think we also look worse in tournaments than qualifiers. There is always the excuse of "we are tired" being flung about, which seems to me that our players are lacking somewhat in fitness or the style of play we have is not conducive to intense tournament football in the summer.

I do struggle with the idea that young pampered professional athletes can be tired though, but I get what you mean.

joeinbrighton

Nov 20, 2012
Brighton
I'd say any European team behind us now is there on merit. They are, afterall, competing in the same tournaments as we are, generally speaking.

But how on earth are you challenging Uruguay? They were semi finalists in the last WC, they won Copa America 2 years ago and were unlucky not to make the final in the recent confeds cup. They also have THREE strikers better than any striker we have, IMO.

And Japan look better than us at the moment, I'd say that was almost beyond dispute. Dark horses for a semi final place in Brazil I should think. Quarter finals at least.

Of that lot, only the shout for Mexico and Poland look daft. Mexico are shit - they've won ONE game in 6 in the WC hex in CONCACAF and their coach is deeply unpopular. Poland are also decidedly ordinary.

You say Mexico are shit, yet Japan are a dark horse for the World Cup, yet Mexico beat Japan in the Confederations Cup. Japan are certainly a side to watch, but I don't think they yet have the mentality to reach the latter end of a tournament. Mexico have at least been regulars in the last 16 of the World Cup and if they make the finals next year (which I think they will end up doing) they will get to that stage again. Hernandez's goals are a big plus for them.

With regards to Uruguay, on paper they are better than England. But, their results since they won the Copa America have dipped. They are currently making heavy weather of qualifying from the South American qualifying section which does not contain Brazil. Their home form will probably see them through, but it will be a close run thing. They are good as an attacking unit, but there are plenty of opponents who'd fancy facing their back 4 and goalkeeper.

stripeyshark

All-Time Best Defence
Dec 20, 2011
Behind Bosnia-Herzegovina and Greece? No, that's not about right.

I would have the top 10 down as something like this:

Spain
Germany
Brazil
Argentina
Uruguay
Italy
Holland
Portugal
England
Belgium

I'd have us above Portugal.

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof
Very true. We haven't gone beyond the quarter finals of ANY major tournament played outside England EVER. And we can't take penalties and often find ourselves COMPLETELY outplayed against the properly good teams even if not reflected in the score. The quarter final last year against Italy is case in point.
Ummmmm.....apart from Italia 90

Ravids

Jun 19, 2013
Fishersgate Maritime Village
15th is about right for England probably, how are Colombia 3rd or am I missing something? I don't think they were at the last 2 world cups were they?!

I don't know how the mighty Scots are in the top 50 tbh, as much as I love them they're an extremely naff side who always choke whenever under pressure.

stripeyshark

All-Time Best Defence
Dec 20, 2011

1990? ???

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here