Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Help please: BT Infinity and connection via slave socket

Rich Suvner

Skint years RIP
Jul 17, 2003
Worthing
It's a crazy world, where having spent 45mins on phone to BT I end up coming to NSC more convinced someone may help provide an answer to my technical question.

If that's you, thank you. I've just been pulling my hair out....

Basically I want to install Infinity and know the home hub needs to go in master socket - in my front room.
However, I also have a smart tv at back of house I want to hardwire into broadband for streaming content, and this tv is next to a slave socket.

In short, I don't want to have loads of cabling routed around my skirting from homehub to back of house in order to connect tv. Can I do this via slave socket instead (eg using a filter?).

Surely this can't be that unusual a request from a potential customer?
But it seems to have stumped the people at BT
So any help on doing this would be really appreciated.

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
You can't run Ethernet signals over the telephone cabling. You could move the hub to behind the TV, but it'd be very likely to get lower speeds or purely not work as VDSL is even more noise sensitive than ADSL.

BT's customer care has clearly got even worse than when I worked there.

we-8-brighton

Feb 5, 2011
You could set up a wireless bridge to another router which you could run an ethernet to the t.v but like stated above noise etc could make speeds terrible.

CC2

Nov 9, 2008
Another option is to use the adapters which allow Ethernet to run over the electrical cabling in your house, just search for "Ethernet over powerline" on Google

Rich Suvner

Skint years RIP
Jul 17, 2003
Worthing
You can't run Ethernet signals over the telephone cabling. You could move the hub to behind the TV, but it'd be very likely to get lower speeds or purely not work as VDSL is even more noise sensitive than ADSL.

BT's customer care has clearly got even worse than when I worked there.

it's only because of the BT Sport with broadband that I'm even still considering using them
frankly the service on the call was terrible

LowKarate

Jan 6, 2004
Wombling free
It's a crazy world, where having spent 45mins on phone to BT I end up coming to NSC more convinced someone may help provide an answer to my technical question.

If that's you, thank you. I've just been pulling my hair out....

Basically I want to install Infinity and know the home hub needs to go in master socket - in my front room.
However, I also have a smart tv at back of house I want to hardwire into broadband for streaming content, and this tv is next to a slave socket.

In short, I don't want to have loads of cabling routed around my skirting from homehub to back of house in order to connect tv. Can I do this via slave socket instead (eg using a filter?).

Surely this can't be that unusual a request from a potential customer?
But it seems to have stumped the people at BT
So any help on doing this would be really appreciated.

The filters that you talk about work for ADSL delivery, but I'm pretty sure that there aren't filters available that can do the same sort of job for VDSL2 transmission on which the Infinity service is based.

I have the same set up that you describe and have gone with the cable routing from hub to TV.

Scoffers

Jan 13, 2004
Burgess Hill

Rich Suvner

Skint years RIP
Jul 17, 2003
Worthing
15 mins - some simple diagnosis provided. Some simple solutions offered. Quite incredible.
Thank you to those who've replied so far. Seriously, NSC should market its crowd-sourcing capabilities.

So do the powerline adaptors use much power if you're doing significant levels of streaming?

Scoffers

Jan 13, 2004
Burgess Hill
15 mins - some simple diagnosis provided. Some simple solutions offered. Quite incredible.
Thank you to those who've replied so far. Seriously, NSC should market its crowd-sourcing capabilities.

So do the powerline adaptors use much power if you're doing significant levels of streaming?

They do get warm after a while, I just make sure I switch them off before I go to bed, although I have left them on a few times with no issues.

Be aware that you can get different models that have different speeds and some have passthrough so you can still use the power socket for something else if you are short on sockets.

Mew

Aug 16, 2011
I had infinity installed at the end of May. When you setup the installation, ask for a BT engineer rather than a sub contractor. A properly trained engineer will be able to install the infinity socket in the room of your choice, without great drop in performance. They have to rewire each socket but it is perfectly possible and took an hour for 8 sockets in our house.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
If you want the BT TV box, then you have to have a wired (cat 5e) connection - the powerline adaptors are no good.
Bite the bullet and pay for someone to run a cable for you.

Scoffers

Jan 13, 2004
Burgess Hill
If you want the BT TV box, then you have to have a wired (cat 5e) connection - the powerline adaptors are no good.

If the OP just wants to get his fast internet to his Smart TV for streaming things like Love Film for example (which is what I thought he was asking for) then the powerline adaptors are perfect

If he wants the actual BT Box situated by the slave then yes, he'll need a cable!

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

you'll have to explain that one, as at 200mbps the bandwidth available on power adapters far exceeds what people will get fed in over BT Infinity connection.

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
you'll have to explain that one, as at 200mbps the bandwidth available on power adapters far exceeds what people will get fed in over BT Infinity connection.

The bandwidth figures for powerline adapters are theorethical best-case scenarios and are, effectively, never met. I've rarely got more than 30mbits sustained out of them and the QoS is brutal.

D

Deleted member 22389

As good as wireless is these days you still can't beat a proper cable.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here