Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Coldean parking. What's the latest?

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
Was Pyecombe looked at? If so, why was it rejected? And if not, why not? Too far? Too much work needed?

In the early days of looking for a P&R site (when I was involved), the expectation was that the site would serve both the A23 and the A27. Pyecombe fails that test, so it wasn't considered. I know that, more recently, the City Council has commissioned further site evaluation work, but I don't know whether that has included Pyecombe. Current thinking is to achieve reductions in city centre congestion (which is what P&R is all about), by alternative measures such as bus priorities - aimed mostly at residents, rather than out-of-town visitors.

Seems quite clear to me that there isn't the capacity to serve A23 and A27 from Mill Road

I came down the A23 today and there's an office to let at a quarry just as you get to Pyecombe. Is it a working quarry? Do quarries work Saturday afternoon? I'd have thought it would be plenty large enough and worth a call if the Transport Manager (nice work if you can get it) were to bother himself

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Seems quite clear to me that there isn't the capacity to serve A23 and A27 from Mill Road

I came down the A23 today and there's an office to let at a quarry just as you get to Pyecombe. Is it a working quarry? Do quarries work Saturday afternoon? I'd have thought it would be plenty large enough and worth a call if the Transport Manager (nice work if you can get it) were to bother himself

Do keep up sir.

The point I have made before is although the majority of cars are parked legally and consideratly there are some of those that didnt. Walking home from matches I have seen cars parked on verges outside peoples homes, blocking residents veichles in driveways. veichles parked blocking the double yellow lines which cause issues for busses turning at Bolney road bus stop. It is due to these inconsiderate drivers that no one can park there now.

Partly maybe, but the primary reason is because the level of street parking in M&C on match days exceeded that specified in the stadium planning consents. Hence the fines imposed on the club, the residents' consultations and now the CPZ's. This is an obvious and predictable consequence of people being unwilling/unable(?) to respond to the club's requests since moving to the Amex.

Smirko

Aug 19, 2011
Brighton
Not being too local, do the parking restrictions stretch to that chippy "Gully's" i believe in Balcombe Road, as that's where i usually park. If so how far back towards the town does this stretch, pass the bridge arches on lewes rd, before you turn into M'scoombe leisure centre?

Thanks

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
I can tell you this,..... from a west coast towns perspective,... Hove across to say Worthing, if they sort out the train trf on the return home post match, there will be less temptation for people to drive, it is currently manic.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Not being too local, do the parking restrictions stretch to that chippy "Gully's" i believe in Balcombe Road, as that's where i usually park. If so how far back towards the town does this stretch, pass the bridge arches on lewes rd, before you turn into M'scoombe leisure centre?

Thanks

Does the exclusion zone stretch down as far as the old Preston Barracks or Mithras House. I am thinking about the Newport game when there is no P&R

Stretches through to the avenue (the road up to bevendean). So the barracks are not included.

Mithras house is university property, so that might be an issue.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Well, that's not covered by the match day parking restrictions. I know some bus drivers used to park along there and walk to the depot, so I think you should be all right, but I'd check for any signs indicating restrictions. There are back roads (such as dewe road, first left going up Coombe road) that runs behind Mithras house and so would be a short walk to the bus stop, or those curved roads just off the main road if just outside Mithras is restricted/unavailable.

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset

So that leaves buses or train....and the change of trains at Brighton now is carnage every game.....the club seemingly don't feel motivated to raise this particular issue with the railways......never mind, we will middle through somehow.

Geriatric Seagull

Nov 10, 2009
Littlehampton
This time last year the club were supposedly looking at another Park and Ride site ( according to the Insider). Instead, we have even more stringent parking restrictions! The silence is deafening.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
This time last year the club were supposedly looking at another Park and Ride site ( according to the Insider). Instead, we have even more stringent parking restrictions! The silence is deafening.

Wasn't that Hickstead? And wasn't it ruled out for being too far?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here