Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

giffgaff - What's the catch?

Brightonfan1983

Tiny member
Jul 5, 2003
UK
My contract with EE ends this month and I thought of having a look at gg's site. It looks very enticing, with cheap everything, but surely there's a hidden disadvantage? There are a few people here who use them - can you share your experiences? And I'm worth a fiver as a referral to someone I think...!

grawhite

Jul 6, 2011
Brighton
It runs off the O2 network iirc, and the 3g is totally useless, better to stick with EE.

bha100

Aug 25, 2011
My contract with EE ends this month and I thought of having a look at gg's site. It looks very enticing, with cheap everything, but surely there's a hidden disadvantage? There are a few people here who use them - can you share your experiences? And I'm worth a fiver as a referral to someone I think...!

If your looking for a cheap pay as you go three have the cheapest around now, never used them so not sure what the coverage is like.

gamec.JPG

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
If your looking for a cheap pay as you go three have the cheapest around now, never used them so not sure what the coverage is like.

View attachment 44437

So the 15gb a month I use with GiffGaff for an all-in £12 would cost me £153.60 with 3 at 1p per MB?

I'm struggling with the value proposition there...

bha100

Aug 25, 2011
So the 15gb a month I use with GiffGaff for an all-in £12 would cost me £153.60 with 3 at 1p per MB?

No the data part would clearly not work for someone who uses 15 gig a month but you won't find anything cheaper for calls and texts.

carlzeiss

May 19, 2009
Amazonia
I use giffgaff for my kids phones . £7.50 pm for 200mins + unlimited texts . No problems at all in 6 months .

Rowdey

Jul 7, 2003
Herne Hill

You're in SE London right..?

I've recently ditched O2 for EE, due to abysmal coverage in this area. So much better around here IMHO.

I deliberated between Three and Giffgaff when looking at SIM-only deals last year. Ended up on Three, paying £12.90 for 200 minutes (they also chucked in 5000 Three-to-Three minutes when I asked), 5000 texts and unlimited data. Went with this above giffgaff purely because the Mrs is on Three (so I wouldn't have to use my minutes when talking to her), and have had no problems. Round here the signal seems absolutely fine; cuts in and out a bit on the train to London but no more than the signal used to on Orange as far as I can tell.

Ecosse Exile

May 20, 2009
Alicante, Spain
£12 pm gets you unlimited texts to any network unlimited calls to giffgaff users unlimited internet and 250 mins to other networks plays 0800 numbers are free, can't say fairer than that IMO, I've been very happy since I switched to giffgaff

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
Giffgaff is the best value non-contract sim available.
Runs off O2 network, average-good reception in most places although I find download speeds quite slow.

I use between 20-30gb per month as I stream radio & podcasts all day.
I've got into trouble a couple of times for tethering so I don't bother with that now.

The only other option that comes very close is 3.
At £12.00 PAYG, Giffgaff clear winner.

shaolinpunk

[Insert witty title here]
Nov 28, 2005
Brighton
I'm tempted by GiffGaff but I'd have to buy a phone outright which, for the ones I want, is bloody expensive

halbpro

Jan 25, 2012
Brighton

For £3 a month more than GiffGaff you can get unlimited data on Three's PAYG, along with 300 minutes and 5000 texts. I guess you've got unlimited on GiffGaff though as well, if you're using 15GB?

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

I've been with GG for nearly 2 years on my iPhone 4s, and I've had no complaints. 3G is generally fine for me, £10 goodybag per month covers all my needs. No one can touch that. I surf the web quite a lot, but I never get even close to using the 1gb data the goodybag includes.

Did you mention referrals!? Don't mind if I do - BOLD SEAGULL GIFFGAFF LINK

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
For £3 a month more than GiffGaff you can get unlimited data on Three's PAYG, along with 300 minutes and 5000 texts. I guess you've got unlimited on GiffGaff though as well, if you're using 15GB?

I get the £10 goodybag per month, 500mins, unlimited texts, 1GB data. I don't normally get close to the data limit to be honest. The value is only if you use what's on offer I guess.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I'm tempted by GiffGaff but I'd have to buy a phone outright which, for the ones I want, is bloody expensive

I wanted an iPhone 4S, by buying it outright so that it is unlocked and using a £10 giffgaff goodybag, there wasn't a Pay Monthly contract deal that could match it for that period.

Okay, instead of spreading the payments over 18 or 24 months, I did need to purchase the phone, but not having a contract for that period is great as I can switch whenever.

Ecosse Exile

May 20, 2009
Alicante, Spain

Check out the Android note, its a reliable smartphone based on the galaxy s4, I'm not gonna say it is as good as the s4 or the iphone 4/5 whatever they are up to but it is just over £100 and when it comes to vfm its pretty bloody good! Runs on android 4.1, and has a decent processor so no speed issues at all.

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
Giff gaff is superb!
Only downside is O2's 3G coverage. Make sure you live and work in an area covered by 3G. There is no 3G between Rottingdean and Kemp Town for example.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here