Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Hay fever.

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
Any sufferers having it worse than usual? Yesterday my nose was like a tap, eyes swollen and itchy. As the evening went on my sinuses set like they were filled with concrete, my itching throat became inflamed and my eyes started to close over. Haven't slept a wink. I've used the usual tablets and also tried a few 'wives tales' like less dairy products and eating local honey. It's driving me mad. :cry:

Neecha

Jul 10, 2012
London
Any sufferers having it worse than usual? Yesterday my nose was like a tap, eyes swollen and itchy. As the evening went on my sinuses set like they were filled with concrete, my itching throat became inflamed and my eyes started to close over. Haven't slept a wink. I've used the usual tablets and also tried a few 'wives tales' like less dairy products and eating local honey. It's driving me mad. :cry:

I'm glad you posted as I very rarely get hf but this week it's been the same for me
although I have a random sore throat as well as what you have
Piriton is the only way for me

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Because everything is playing catch up in the pollen world due to short late spring, the hay fever season should be shorter but more severe. That nasal spray that they are advertising at the moment seems to give the best relief. Beconase.

Last edited:

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
I'm glad you posted as I very rarely get hf but this week it's been the same for me
although I have a random sore throat as well as what you have
Piriton is the only way for me

Might have to try the piriton as my tablets are clearly not working. Such a pathetic ailment to suffer from :(

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Yeah pretty bad, even in the better half of Sussex.

You're not going to like this but knocking beer on the head, works well for me. :down:

Colossal Squid

Returning video tapes
Feb 11, 2010
Under the sea
Yea mine has been going apeshit.

I've been taking four types of antihistamine AND a nasal spray AND eating local honey. None of it seems to do anything.

Been waking up in the middle of the night having sneezing fits and then I can't get back to sleep again.

WHY THE **** HAS NOBODY FOUND A ****ING CURE FOR THIS *******?

Dorset Seagull

Once Dolphin, Now Seagull
Only get it in a minor way these days but used to get it very severely after the summer of 76. Back then I used Otrivine to clear the passages but I think I overdid it as the old sense of smell and taste has taken a bit of a battering so use it in moderation

Joe Gatting's Dad

Feb 10, 2007
Way out west
I have had hay fever for the past fifty years.

Always found tablets useless, but wearing contact lenses instead of glasses helps. Beconese, or its cheaper generic equivalent, has proved to be a total success since I found it fifteen years ago.

Dr Q

Jul 29, 2004
Ilkley
Not suffered too much in the last couple of years, but this week has really made up for it. Sneezed 16 times in succession this morning on the dog walk, snot everywhere!

Tony Towner's Fridge

Aug 22, 2003
GLASGOW,SCOTLAND,UK
I am Mr Allergy. Always have been and have had many many different antihistamine tablets prescribed over the past 42 years since early teenage diagnosis. Last September was particularly dire so in desperation I went to the doctor and pleaded with her to give me something to relieve the angst. Reluctantly she prescribed Telfast . I say reluctantly because it is o softhearted most, if not the most, expensive antiallergy tablet on the market. Anyway it has revolutionised my being and life. I recommend anyone to go and force your GP to prescribe the stuff.

TNBA

TTF

banjo

GOSBTS
Oct 25, 2011
Deep south

Don't know how true this is but someone once said eating a local honey can help. :shrug:

grubbyhands

Dec 8, 2011
Godalming
A biochemic tissue salt called Combination H worked for me. Tiny little homeopathic tablets the size of a match head, you really have to start taking them before the onset of the dreaded H.F. Basically you then build up a resistance. Maybe try them next year in advance of H.F. season. Because they are entirely natural, you could if you wanted to take the whole bottle with little or no ill effects. I poo-pooed these totally when first suggested to me but they were the ONLY thing that worked for me. Guess we're all different though or we'd all be struck down with H.F. Best of luck.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I've always suffered from hayfever, often pretty badly. I think my recommendation would be to start a course of Beconase (or the cheaper alternatives like Polonase or boots own brand of basically the same medicine). The trick seems to be to start it early in the season, mid April ish.

Whenever I've done this, my hayfever has proven to be FAR less of an issue than otherwise.

Also, don't underestimate the value of taking a shower when you're having a sneezing fit.

beakyburn

Aug 15, 2012

Suffered badly when younger. Found early evening was the worst. Just splash cold water over your eyes and wearing sunglasses helps. Also put some Vaseline up your nostrils. After an hour blow to clear and repeat. Will stop pollen entering your nose. Wont stop it completely but does help.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here