Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Coventry city to play at Sixfields for 'home' games

ozzygull

Oct 6, 2003
Reading
Is there anything we can do to help or show solidarity with Coventry. The fans must be in despair at what is happening to their club.

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
It's a really odd situation as the rent at the Ricoh was at such a level it was strangling the club yet without Coventry it's hard to see how the stadium owners can generate sustainable revenues

Both need each other yet the numbers are clearly a long way adrift. Good luck to them and their fans as has been a real roller coaster from the elation of moving into the new stadium to this situation

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
Is now the right time to mention that prior to joining the Albion, Paul barber undertook football consultancy and gave advice to SISU?

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
It's a really odd situation as the rent at the Ricoh was at such a level it was strangling the club yet without Coventry it's hard to see how the stadium owners can generate sustainable revenues

Both need each other yet the numbers are clearly a long way adrift. Good luck to them and their fans as has been a real roller coaster from the elation of moving into the new stadium to this situation

I remember being up there for what must have been their penultimate game at Highfield road

ozzygull

Oct 6, 2003
Reading
I think I was as well. Was that when Micky Adams was there and Virgs got an equaliser, but we lost 2-1. I thought Highfield Road was alright.

Sam-

Feb 20, 2012
Is now the right time to mention that prior to joining the Albion, Paul barber undertook football consultancy and gave advice to SISU?

Must be careful, are you implying that is partly to blame for this?
Don't think we can read anything into the fact he did some work in the past for SISU.

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006

Unless it had a bearing on their current problem then there's no point unless you have a personal vendetta against him?

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009

That's a very brave thing to post without further context. Do you have any articles to link about his input?

Seagulltonian

C'mon the Albion!
Oct 2, 2003
Still Somewhere in Sussex!
Who owns the League share? The Club or someone else? EDIT Have just seen it's SISU.

All these owners and sub owners, no bloody wonder everything takes so long to unravel and sort out!

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003

I'm not sure they were elated at moving, to be honest, Highfield Road was vaguely decent and mostly met the Taylor Report requirements anyway. They held a lot of affection for it. The demand for them to move to a new stadium was never in the same sort of league as the Albion's. It's probably not far off Darlington's folly as one of the least necessary new stadiums in the country.

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
Weren't they forced to moved to the ground by the council? (this is what I was told, but may be wildly wrong)

The problem with the Ricoh, is that Coventry make nothing from match day sales and have to pay rent too - the business model can only survive with Premier League or high-end championship football. Even with the recent offer to play rent-free, it was going to be hit and miss as to whether the club could afford to play there.

This is clearly a shit move for all. It can only be redeemed, in my opinion, if CCFC manage to build their own stadium quickly. This seems unlikely, as I'm sure the council will not want the Ricoh to be sat there empty and may make the approval of a new stadium very difficult.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London

I guess that depends on whether you're bitter that the the club isn't run like a village fete committee and you aren't involved anymore.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here