Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Anyone remember Play By Mail football management games?

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
For a moment, take your eyes off Colin Pates' garish football kit and look to the adverts on the left...

playbymail.jpg

Does anyone remember these adverts that used to crop up in the classified sections of Shoot! and Match magazine in the 1980s and 1990s. Anyway, did anyone ever sign up and play these games? What was it like? Did you eagerly await your post each week to find out your results after your inspirational managerial decision-making or was it all bit of a rip-off and a let down?

I always remembered they seemed ludicrously expensive. As if I could afford £2 a week for it in the early 1990s! So I never signed up for any of them.

But how did they work? How did whoever was organising the leagues generate the results?

By now, I imagine the combination of Fantasy Football Leagues (based on what actually happens in real-life football), the internet and really comprehensive computer-based football management games have all but killed PBM, but I may be mistaken.

Anyway, over to you!

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I didn't see any advert for it, but a friend of mine did it, so I joined up to one. I wasn't very good.

I don't have a strong memory beyond that, but I have vague recollections of picking teams, formations, substitutions (you actually had to list when a substitution would be made, which players would swap), if you wanted to take the team away on bonding activities, spending on ground upkeept, whether to accept sponsorship deals etc. then post it off, then you'd get the results back, how much money came in from tickets, merchandise, food and drink, etc

crookie

Jun 14, 2013
Back in Sussex
I and a couple of mates did these for a few years, great fun at the time, especially when playing against each others teams, and yes, couldn't wait for the post to hit the mat !!! Advent of decent football management games in the last 15 years has consigned them to history I should think. Mind you, a few years since I've read Shoot and Match !!

John Byrnes Mullet

Global Circumnavigator
Oct 4, 2004
Brighton
I and a couple of mates did these for a few years, great fun at the time, especially when playing against each others teams, and yes, couldn't wait for the post to hit the mat !!! Advent of decent football management games in the last 15 years has consigned them to history I should think. Mind you, a few years since I've read Shoot and Match !!

I was in a couple of PBM's and you are right. I couldn't wait for the postie to arrive, how times have changed. This certainly led to an addiction of Football Manager and Championship Manager.

forrest

Aug 11, 2010
haywards heath
I used to play one back in the day. Picked my team selected my tactics and any transfers I wanted (Didnt have the transfer windows back then!) I so wanted to be in charge of Brighton but ended up with Gillingham. Hell i even manged to secure the services of Patrick Kluivert for £1.5million!

Seagull by the Sea

May 22, 2013
For a moment, take your eyes off Colin Pates' garish football kit and look to the adverts on the left...

playbymail.jpg

Does anyone remember these adverts that used to crop up in the classified sections of Shoot! and Match magazine in the 1980s and 1990s. Anyway, did anyone ever sign up and play these games? What was it like? Did you eagerly await your post each week to find out your results after your inspirational managerial decision-making or was it all bit of a rip-off and a let down?

I always remembered they seemed ludicrously expensive. As if I could afford £2 a week for it in the early 1990s! So I never signed up for any of them.

But how did they work? How did whoever was organising the leagues generate the results?

By now, I imagine the combination of Fantasy Football Leagues (based on what actually happens in real-life football), the internet and really comprehensive computer-based football management games have all but killed PBM, but I may be mistaken.

Anyway, over to you!

I did one with a friend if mine and we were always excited when the results were due back in the post.

The one we did was with a guy based in Horsham and we had to pick the team and basic tactics. When he sent them back there would be a full match report and possession stats etc. the guy who ran it said he put all the info into a computer and it randomly told him the player's number that made a pass or had a shot, then he would type up the match report and use your players name that had that shirt number.

In those days it was just a simple 1-11 so it was easy.

I actually always thought he didn't have a programme at all but he just made it up!!

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Thanks for the replies, guys!

I half-thought it would be an NSC thread that might go down like a lead balloon as no one knew what it was on about :)

I remember Match in the early 1990s running a magazine version of a Play By Mail called 'Superboss'. It involved answering multiple-choice questions to decide what players did during the match, adding the number of points you get for your answers, and then phoning up a premium-rate number to discover your score and get a match report (you had to wait for the next week's Match for the scores if you weren't allowed to use the 0898 numbers!). Along with other readers, you could also vote by post or phone about which players to buy or sell, which kit your team would wear etc and the most popular choices carried the day.

Pretty good except I think they rather abruptly canned the 'Superboss' feature mid-season in the second year....

forrest

Aug 11, 2010
haywards heath
Thanks for the replies, guys!

I half-thought it would be an NSC thread that might go down like a lead balloon as no one knew what it was on about :)

I remember Match in the early 1990s running a magazine version of a Play By Mail called 'Superboss'. It involved answering multiple-choice questions to decide what players did during the match, adding the number of points you get for your answers, and then phoning up a premium-rate number to discover your score and get a match report (you had to wait for the next week's Match for the scores if you weren't allowed to use the 0898 numbers!). Along with other readers, you could also vote by post or phone about which players to buy or sell, which kit your team would wear etc and the most popular choices carried the day.

Pretty good except I think they rather abruptly canned the 'Superboss' feature mid-season in the second year....

I remember that game in Match! If i remember rightly the team was called 'Matchester United'

The Wookiee

Back From The Dead
Nov 10, 2003
Worthing
I played one in the mid 90's can't recall the name of it but the were based in halstead in Essex. Always remember 2 of the other managers in the set up were brothers named Paul and John, their surname was Terry !!!

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
I remember that game in Match! If i remember rightly the team was called 'Matchester United'

Thanks, I had completely forgotten the team's name. I'm glad I'm not the only one that remembers it :)

Faldo

Jul 7, 2003
Soccer Supremos. I remember my dad getting the hump because you would have to phone other managers to put deals through. He kept finding random calls to Scunthorpe on the bill.

Puppet Master

non sequitur
Aug 14, 2012
This brings back so many happy childhood memories. Used to love playing these... looking back they were so simple but my God were they fun and addictive. Used to bunk school some mornings to wait for my results in the post. And my dad calling me saying there's some kid on the phone saying he;'s the manager of Barcelona and wants to do a deal :lolol:
Off the top of my head, I played The Gaffa, PFF, KJC Games and In Off The Post. Looking back they were money for nothing really although I've still got a little silver trophy on my bookcase at my mum's house saying 1996 Gaffa Cup winner. As others have said Football Manager games killed them off in the end. Amazing to think I used to be biting my nails for a week or two waiting on my results when you get them at the click of a button now,.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
I think Play By Mail probably came from the momentum created by Choose Your Own Adventure books of the 1970s and 1980s.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here