Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Notice period - is it inclusive?

FloatLeft

Jun 12, 2012
Hypothetical question coming up: If you resign from your job and had to give 1 week notice and you handed your notice in at 9am on Friday morning would you then be expected to end your employment at the end of Thursday (a whole working week). Or world you be expected to work the Friday too) thereby working 1 week and 1 day?

This post is unrelated to the ongoing employment dispute between Brighton and Gus. Just thought I'd say.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
You would work until end of business Thursday.

FloatLeft

Jun 12, 2012
Dependent on any annual leave you have accrued, and if your employer let's you take it as part of your notice period.

Fair enough, so excluding annual leave the consensus so far is that you hand notice in Friday morning, end employment the end of the working day Thursday following.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
This interests me as Junior got a job two weeks a go and leaves the UK on the 29th of this month for a Soccer Scholarship in Kansas.

He wants his last day of employment to be the shift on Sunday the 21st July so when should he actually hand in his notice ?

sebtucknott

Aug 22, 2011
Shoreham-by-Sea
As far as I'm aware it's down to the descretion of your manager or what's stipulated in your contract.

Usually you would discuss with your manager when your last day would be in some case it maybe longer/shorter dependant on what both parties agree.

For beachhut's question, there would be nothing wrong with handing the notice in early and asking for a particular leave date.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here