Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

OT: Lies you are allowed to tell your insurance company

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
I work in Insurance and so far this week I've had a never ending increase in the bare-faced lies being told to me about people's car insurance.

I just wanted an unscientific but hopefully unbiased poll on what lies people think are acceptable and what you think is too far...

This pretty much covers mu week so far:

1. I park my car on the road outside the house but tell my insurer its garaged/on the drive. Ok or Too Far?

2. I lie about the postcode where I keep my car, saying its kept in a nice area when its not. Ok or Too Far?

3. I tell them I do 8,000 miles a year but I always do 10,000. Ok or Too Far?

4. I tell them I do 3,000 miles a year but do 30,000. Ok to Too Far?

5. The insurance is in my dad's name because its cheaper, even though it is my car. Ok or Too Far?

6. I have a new exhaust, alloy wheels and a window tint but told them no modifications. Ok or Too Far?

7. I told them I was 21 but I'm actually only 18. Ok or Too Far?

8. I said 5 years NCD but I haven't got it. They never check anyway. Ok or Too Far?

9. I drive without insurance because its too expensive. Ok or Too Far?

If you personally would do any/all of these, what is too far? Anything?

If you personally wouldn't do any of these, what lies would you tell?

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
Make a poll with all the options available. Ok or too far?

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
1. I park my car on the road outside the house but tell my insurer its garaged/on the drive. Ok if you have a drive! or Too Far?

2. I lie about the postcode where I keep my car, saying its kept in a nice area when its not. Ok or Too Far?

5. The insurance is in my dad's name because its cheaper, even though it is my car. Ok or Too Far (assuming you mean 'Main driver')?

6. I have a new exhaust, alloy wheels and a window tint but told them no modifications. Ok or Too Far'ish?

7. I told them I was 21 but I'm actually only 18. Ok or WAY Too Far?

8. I said 5 years NCD but I haven't got it. They never check anyway. Ok or Too Far?

9. I drive without insurance because its too expensive. Ok or WAY WAY WAY Too Far?

BHAZiggy

Pedant
Jan 12, 2011
Hastings
Lying to the insurance companies inevitably costs us all. Why should I pay more because somebody else is a fraudster? Those who get caught lying should be made to pay double.

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
1, 2 and 3 are probably the only ones you'd have a hope in hell of getting away with surely? Anyone that tries the later ones doesn't deserve insurance.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
1. is okay if it is actually parked on the drive some of the time.
3. Could be a genuine mistake. You take out the insurance thinking / hoping you'll do under 8k, but it actually creeps over.
6. I'd say is okay, if the modifications are just superficial and affect neither the value or performance of the car.

Some, like 4,7 and 8 are just stupid, as you'll presumably 'get away with it' for as long as you never actually need to claim, at which point they'll check, and invalidate your cover, leaving you out of pocket / in court.

bha100

Aug 25, 2011
Lying to the insurance companies inevitably costs us all. Why should I pay more because somebody else is a fraudster? Those who get caught lying should be made to pay double.

Do you think that if insurance fraud was eradicated the savings would go to reducing premiums or into the shareholders pockets?

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box

Average Car insurance costs £750. Typical fine for driving without insurance £180. Not really that much of an incentive!

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
If you lie then they won't pay out. OK or too far?

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
Do you think that if insurance fraud was eradicated the savings would go to reducing premiums or into the shareholders pockets?

Lowering premiums - every time. Very few insurance companies make any money from motor. Typically only 1 year in every 7 is there a profit. Its used as a way to get your household insurance, which is generally profitable 6 years in 7. We don't need to cross-sell to that many customers before its worth making the loss on motor for the profit on home/pet/travel/life.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
If you personally would do any/all of these, what is too far? Anything?

If you personally wouldn't do any of these, what lies would you tell?
6 isn't too bad IMO. The others are too far.

Lies I would tell:
If my wife and I share a car, but one of us uses it a lot more, I'd insure it in the name of who's cheapest, rather than who uses it the most.

Cars

Feb 13, 2012
Haywards Heath
Number 3 is an estimate, not an accurate figure.

As for not declaring modifications, your insurance is void if you have an accident. So that's just very very stupid....

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
If you lie then they won't pay out. OK or too far?

Exactly. If you have an accident and they find out you have led about something - even if it is not deliberate, you could well not get your claim paid.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
1. I park my car on the road outside the house but tell my insurer its garaged/on the drive. Ok if you have a drive! or Too Far?

5. The insurance is in my dad's name because its cheaper, even though it is my car. Ok or Too Far (assuming you mean 'Main driver')?

6. I have a new exhaust, alloy wheels and a window tint but told them no modifications. Ok or Too Far'ish?

7. I told them I was 21 but I'm actually only 18. Ok or WAY Too Far?

9. I drive without insurance because its too expensive. Ok or WAY WAY WAY Too Far?

Pretty much agree with these answers. I find it rather stupid that insurance companies think most of us can predict a whole years mileage to the nearest 1000 miles.

I have some sympathy with people trying get their insurance down with some little lies - the insurance companies try and screw you over when you try and make a claim so they hardly be surprised when their "customers" attempt to do the same to them !

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
6 isn't too bad IMO. The others are too far.

Lies I would tell:
If my wife and I share a car, but one of us uses it a lot more, I'd insure it in the name of who's cheapest, rather than who uses it the most.

Agree. Not sure I would have even thought to tell my insurer of 6, but I wouldn't do the others, I'd just assume I'd get caught out of something happened and they wouldn't pay a penny.

elninobonito

Whitehawk Born and Bred
May 27, 2011
What about points on your license, if you were caught speeding or on a mobile or any offence that ended in points? Would you tell your insurance or not bother? Wonder how many people dont declare these to avoid higher costs?

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
I've always been honest with my insurance company, but the whole 'estimated miles' thing is a joke. I recon the only one of the above that I'm guilty of is 3 - but again, that is because I don't have a ruddy clue. I suppose the best way would be to look at the mileage between your last 2 MOTs and estimate the same (assuming you have the same distance commute to work as the previous year).

Also, giving them your job title is a nightmare - mine never matches any of the categories, so I have to guess (if I do it online), or the person at the other end of the phone has to try a shoehorn my rough description of my job into one of the categories.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here