Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Knee Ligaments - MRI Scan - Ruptures, Undersurface tears, tearing, the lot...

sam86

Feb 18, 2009
Results of my MRI scan:

2urusut.jpg

Obviously it's pretty ****ed, but what should I expect wise old hobbling users of NSC? Got to wait a week for my follow-up appointment.

luge

Dec 18, 2010
Shearer had a serious knee injury. He went bald.

You're going to go bald.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
Results of my MRI scan:

2urusut.jpg

Obviously it's pretty ****ed, but what should I expect wise old hobbling users of NSC? Got to wait a week for my follow-up appointment.

I think it depends to a certain extent on age and fitness.

I have a couple of friends who have done pretty much the exact same injury. One was a fit and healthy 27 year old. He was out for about 9months I think. Certainly no more than a year. He came back with no side/after effects and now does triathlons without any problems.

The other guy was 38 and also relatively fit. He was out for a good 18months and had all kinds of associated problems with his leg and other knee. Even now(3 years after doing it) he has problems if he uses it too hard.

Don't know if thats of any help?

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Results of my MRI scan:

2urusut.jpg

I had a lateral tear of my meniscus, which in a lot of cases is probably the easiest to repair. Obviously your ligament damage sounds pretty severe and basically, the harder you work in physio, the quicker you'll recover, and it will be hard, repetitive and boring work.

Mine was 17 years ago now, and while I'm very active playing squash, cycling, I still suffer with it, and have to look after it when it feels sore. I gave up football as it just flared up all the time, with it being my left leg, the rotation through the joint in hitting through the ball with my right leg is just too much, even with 5-a-side.

Amazing what they can do though, and hopefully they can repair the ligaments without having to undertake a full reconstruction.

BHAZiggy

Pedant
Jan 12, 2011
Hastings
That happened to my wife's horse. She had it shot.
They're going to shoot you.:whistle:

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset
Results of my MRI scan:

2urusut.jpg

As a doctor and someone who has torn their anterior cruciate ligament and (separately) their medial collateral ligament with medial meniscus damage, I can probably give you some insight.

The anterior cruciate tear may not be too much of an issue if its not a complete rupture. If it's complete then you're looking at surgery to regain the stability of your knee, followed by a fair bit of rehab. If the tear is partial then the surgery option may only be needed if you've got a fair bit of instability in your knee (back/forward sliding of the joint) - otherwise its a lot of rehab, which I went through with my partial anterior tear.

As for the lateral meniscus, that will also depend on the type of tear - it sounds like its small rather than being the type that will need trimming down so should heal on its own. The medial collateral will heal of its own accord with appropriate rest etc.

Basically, you're appointment will be a surgery/rehab vs rehab only discussion. This will depend on the exact nature of the tears, what kind of activity you're hoping to return to (football/rugby vs normal day to day stuff) and you/your surgeon's preferences.

shaolinpunk

[Insert witty title here]
Nov 28, 2005
Brighton
It's a red injury icon on Football Manager

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
Top replies!

I'm 40. I damaged my, not particularly great, right knee about 2 years ago. I only went for an MRI about a year ago and nothing too bad was found. Gary Nelson's Left Foot's story rings pretty true with me though. I still haven't kicked a ball in anger (I was playing futsal before) but have tried to get into running. Goes pretty well for a while, then gets sore again. For the first year after hurting it, it took an AGE to start feeling normal. These days it is pretty good, but I have to keep thinking about it.

Ask what kind of exercises you should do, and DO THEM. Every day.

Wish I could play futsal again.

Paris

Jul 17, 2010
13th district
When i first glanced at this thread title i thought it was going to be about Del Potro. The Argies got guts.

Good luck with your knee Sam :thumbsup:

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Top replies!

I'm 40. I damaged my, not particularly great, right knee about 2 years ago. I only went for an MRI about a year ago and nothing too bad was found. Gary Nelson's Left Foot's story rings pretty true with me though. I still haven't kicked a ball in anger (I was playing futsal before) but have tried to get into running. Goes pretty well for a while, then gets sore again. For the first year after hurting it, it took an AGE to start feeling normal. These days it is pretty good, but I have to keep thinking about it.

Ask what kind of exercises you should do, and DO THEM. Every day.

Wish I could play futsal again.

I had to give up football, even 5-a-side. I can play squash 3 or 4 times a week, cycle 200 mile pw, but football, no, knee balloons and stiffens up every time.

What has really helped is Glucosamine with Chondroitin sulphate which is available off the shelf and are dietary supplements. I was skeptical at first when a physio mentioned them to me, but it was a noticable difference in the knee joint after taking them for a while. I understand they don't work for everyone, but worked for me (as well as exercises etc.).

http://www.healthspan.co.uk/articles/what-are-glucosamine-chondroitin/

s5.bha

Aug 3, 2003
I've got an MRI scan later this week on my left knee as well......
The appointment I got sent is for 4.10pm on Sunday !!! Never heard of Sunday appointments before......

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
I've got an MRI scan later this week on my left knee as well......
The appointment I got sent is for 4.10pm on Sunday !!! Never heard of Sunday appointments before......

Hospitals are 24/7 these days pretty much, they have to be.

sam86

Feb 18, 2009
Thanks for all the serious replies chaps.
I guess thanks for all "other" replies too, one does need cheering up in times of trouble!

BHAZiggy

Pedant
Jan 12, 2011
Hastings
Get well soon Sam. I don't REALLY want them to shoot you mate.:)

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
I had to give up football, even 5-a-side. I can play squash 3 or 4 times a week, cycle 200 mile pw, but football, no, knee balloons and stiffens up every time.

What has really helped is Glucosamine with Chondroitin sulphate which is available off the shelf and are dietary supplements. I was skeptical at first when a physio mentioned them to me, but it was a noticable difference in the knee joint after taking them for a while. I understand they don't work for everyone, but worked for me (as well as exercises etc.).

http://www.healthspan.co.uk/articles/what-are-glucosamine-chondroitin/

Thanks for that. Will look into it.

I've done a fair bit of running in the last year. Ride my bike around town a lot every day and my job means I am constantly getting up and down. At the moment, not a problem. But I know football is such a different beast. All that twisting and turning. Not to mention kicking! Especially for a flairtastic half-Spaniard like myself ;) Would love to do it again, but think it might be better to call it a day.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Thanks for that. Will look into it.

I've done a fair bit of running in the last year. Ride my bike around town a lot every day and my job means I am constantly getting up and down. At the moment, not a problem. But I know football is such a different beast. All that twisting and turning. Not to mention kicking! Especially for a flairtastic half-Spaniard like myself ;) Would love to do it again, but think it might be better to call it a day.

It's the kicking action that does me, I am right footed so the left knee takes all the twisting through it. On a squash court, I am lunging, twisting, turning all the time, and generally am I absolutely fine. Football though causes a real problem, which is a shame because I was a bloody excellent footballer*!! :thumbsup:

*part of this statement is a lie.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here