Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Programme on Don McCullin, War Photographer

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patreon
Jan 3, 2012
Watched this last night on BBC1 (I think). professional Photographer now aged 75, mainly but not exclusively a (if not the) war photographer, from Vietnam onwards. Probably the greatest photojournalist of his generation.

Excellent programme, obviously quite distressing sometimes because of what he photographed and his accounts of things that he saw. But also notable for his dedication, humility, humanity and integrity. It was his photographs which first highlighted what was going on in Biafra.

And some fascinating insights in to the press. He worked for the Observer and then the Sunday Times, but was let go by the Sunday Times after Rupert Murdoch and news International took over and Andrew Neil replaced Harold Evans as editor. The magazine became more a lifestyle and entertainment thing than something that needed a war photographer.

I found it riveting and would recommend it to anyone who might be interested in any of the above. Should be compulsory for Media Studies students.

shingle

Jan 18, 2004
Lewes
Thoroughly Agree

Fantastic programme.....I'd forgotten how good he is, and not just the conflict stuff.....This programme and his book Unreasonable Behaviour should be compulsory for media/photography students

Fef

Rock God.
Feb 21, 2009
Thanks for the heads-up. I've just watched it on iPlayer.

A fascinating and somewhat harrowing programme. You are both correct about it being compulsory for Media Studies; a combination of tenacity and humanity as an example to all.

westy

Jul 25, 2003
Really interesting if disturbing watch. World class photographer totally dedicated to his art.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Incredible photographer. Unreasonable Behaviour is required reading imo.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patreon
Jan 3, 2012

Market Porter

Or The Globe
Feb 14, 2008
South Walk
I can thoroughly recommend two books which mirror his experiences, one a reporters' memoir, the other a fictional photo journalists viewpoint.

Edward Behr..."Anyone here been raped and speaks English?"

Philip Caputo...Delcorso's Gallery

Those looney tunes in Beirut rewrote the atrocity rulebook!

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here